Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ptulmer

Watermelon Cream Ale

It's been more than a decade since I used my Mr Beer kit, but recently two batches have been passed through it.  The first, the All American Gold recipe, has spent it's first week in the fridge after two in the keg and two in the bottle.  The second, Chug-a-lug recipe, is going in the bottles this evening.

So I'm looking to step up my game a bit.  In my recent web browsing I came across a review for an Cream Ale  extract mix where the reviewer said he added Lorann Watermelon Oil at bottling.  His method was to add "slightly less than a dram" to a five gallon batch in the bottling bucket.

So I began researching what Cream Ale should be.  Apparently, it's not hoppy, nor malty.  The cream feel comes from using flaked corn.  To me, that meant Classic American Light mix and flaked corn.  Maybe others would work, but I do try to make beer that appeals to other people around me.  After all, the best thing about making beer is sharing it around the BBQ!

So here's what I plugged into qbrew, then ordered.

1 - can Classic American Light

1 - 1# flaked corn

1- Safale US-05 dry yeast

1 - package of Whirlfloc

1 - dram of Lorann Watermelon oil  (propylene glycol based I think)

So, here's my questions.  Any advice on the amount of flaked corn?  Would you boil that for 5 minutes and include the Whirlfloc, then continue Mr Beer style by removing from heat and adding the HME?

Definitely do not boil the flaked corn. It needs to be mashed with base malt. I would start with a .5-1 lb of flaked corn and 1-2 lbs of two row to see where that gets you. google partial mash because that's the road you're heading down.

I didn't see any hops other than the hme. throw in .25-.75 oz of cascade at flame out to give it a citrusy aroma. I enjoy lemon juice (and chili powder) on my watermelon, sounds like an interesting beer. good luck

You sir have surpassed the Dos Equis man as most interesting.  From now on, when I cut a watermelon, I will think of you.  Chili powder on watermelon!?  Yuuuuuck!

Thanks for the advice.  It looks like stepping up my game a bit means learning more than I had thought.  I'm reading up on partial mash, but the one thing I don't really want to do is to increase the ABV by too much.  The last thing I want is in-laws tumbling over the side of the porch! 

Ok, I just took the shortcut and added the watermelon flavoring to a plain-jane batch of CAL.  I racked the CAL over to a spare LBK that the watermelon had already been added to and will start bottling in a few minutes.  After adding the flavoring and taste-testing, there wasn't any real watermelon component at all.  I sure hope it turns up after time in the bottle!  Either way, it's a cheap experiment and almost guaranteed to be drinkable..

After adding the flavoring and taste-testing, there wasn't any real watermelon component at all. I sure hope it turns up after time in the bottle!

If you don't mind...keep us updated on how the watermelon flavor conditions. Did you end up using a watermelon oil or an extract? I wonder if an extract would be more pronounced since a couple of ounces would be used in the batch...? Either way, like you said...it will be drinkable I'm sure!