Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
adonner

flat beer

I just brewed my first batch. I thought I read that it is ok to refrigerate the beer immediately after bottling. I tried some after 2 weeks in fridge and it is completely flat. should i have left it at room temp. for a few weeks? is the batch salvagable / thanks

Unfortunately the Mr. Beer instructions aren't very clear and are rather vague. Through my brewing experiences and reading the posts your batch should still be salvageable. Remove the bottles from the fridge and let them rest at room temperature for at least 3 weeks, 4 weeks is even better. A general rule of thumb to follow on future batches is ferment in keg for 3 weeks and bottle condition for 4 weeks.

Did you brew the American Classic Light or a different refill?

Hope this helps.

Also, just making sure you did add the priming sugar to the bottle. They should be ok. Just take them out of the fridge and condition for a few weeks.

thanks for the good news! it was the American classic light that comes with the initial brewing kit! A footnote in the bottling section of the instructions mentions cold conditioning in the fridge and I now realize that it meant AFTER it sits at room temp for several weeks!

Ignore the "cold conditioning" stuff.  As others have stated, you want the bottles at room temp (i.e. 70 or so) for at  least 4 weeks.  Then, refrigerate only what you're going to drink 3 days later.  The longer they sit out, the better they will be (except for wheat beers which are better young).

Why is your beer flat?  Because the sugar in the bottle feeds the yeast, which then creates the carbonation.  In the refrigerator, the yeast go to sleep, so the sugar isn't eaten, so you get no carbonation.

Yes..I did the Gila monster...it was at its best 1yr. Later..time is your friend.

After 4 wks  at room temp starting in the order that you bottled if can remember(I usually # them in the order I bottle them). After 4 weeks put one in the fridge every 3 days. After 6 wks or so they should all be in the fridge. Now try the first one you refrigerated 2 wks ago and should be really good. Now 3 days later bottle #2 will be ready and so on every 3 days and your beer will be carbonated and fresh. See the trick is you want them in the fridge for at least to weeks so the sediment settles to and sticks to the bottom of the bottle. This results in clearer cleaner beer. For every point in alcohol you  go up give it one more week at room temp I.e. 3.0% 3 wks at room temp 4.0% 4wks room temp etc. If you make a true lager with lager yeast do not refrigerate for any less  than 2 wks 3 or 4 is even better because once it carbonates it conditions cold.

Sorry to disagree, but they should not all be in the fridge by 6 weeks. Keep them out and let them condition longer; they will continue to condition for a very long time, even months. They should be clear even without cooling after four weeks conditioning. A couple of days in the fridge is all that is needed, and truthfully I find that even straight from the basement (65 deg) they are clear and very good to drink. I have some beers conditioning now for five months plus, and they are better than ever! We are really making ales with MB and cold largering is not required. YMMV

Do you drink beer or collect beer and occasionally drink it!? What a great way to encourage people to brew "The beer you just made won't be ready to drink until after 5 or 6 months!" Awesome! While your waiting for your beer to be ready you can go outside and watch the grass grow! I remember reading Rick Beers posts on the forum a year ago and he was saying "if you want good beer 3 wks in the fermenter 4 weeks in the bottle then you can start refrigerating some of the bottles" Now its hold out 5 or 6 months. Hmm why not 5 or 6 yrs! There wasa medical study recently I think by the U of Michigan that a normal pregnancy term should be 12 months not 9! Must be something in the water in Michigan! Make beer,drink beer its that simple guys! If you want to make something to drink 6 months plus later I suggest wine not beer. Or take up oil painting! Have a nice day!

Hey, this is a hobby, not a vocation, and we all enjoy it to a degree that suits us. My pipeline is sufficient so I don't mind waiting for the beer to mature to its fullest flavor. Your experience may be different, and that is OK too. However, try an experiment; hold a bottle or two for three months as a compromise and let us know what you think of the flavor, body, head etc. I promise to drink one of my recently bottled Irish red. Cheers!

I have kept many bottles at too temp 8wks which is the norm for me if its an 8% plus beer and then in the fridge for at least 2 wks and several beers from that such would sit in the fridge over a month before I drink them. That could be 3+ months sometimes. One thing you have to realize is beer needs a decent amount of refrigeration time after its been sitting at room temp and if don't know why I'll explain why: While the beer is at room temp the yeast is still working yes 8,12,16 weeks+ the fridge will clean up tastes in the beer the yeast left behind. If you leave the beer at room temp too long and yes some yeast craps out as early as 12wks especially if you under pitch a high abv beer.Autolysis only occurs at room temp so the fridge is your only protection against this and if its already occurred even the fridge won't help.and by the way Brian have you really enjoyed drinking a beer that's served at 65 degrees?And if you want to wait for beer to age brews lagers those suckers need to stay in the fridge sometimes 8 wks+ after you've had them at four weeks to carbonate they don't condition warm unless your making a steam beer. Salut

Damn auto correct "bottles at room temp for 8 wks"

Our opinions and understanding of the brewing process obviously differ. Taste buds and personal preferences are  as varied as the stars. Yes, I do enjoy some ales at 65 deg as the flavor profile changes from when they are very cold. I don't think that autolysis  of the yeast within the bottle is significant enough to worry about. Anyway, as long as you are enjoying the beers you make, enjoying the hobby and your involvement, what else matters? As a brewer, I've learned a lot from this forum, always try to keep an open mind, be pleasant and respectful. 

OK Dr. Brian I'll give other brewers on the forum responses based only on what I've heard from you and Rick Beer not on my own brewing experience. Why would  I offer any info that challenges or conflicts with what you guys say.An open mind that's a good one. And pleasant I'm very pleasant but I know there's no reason to over condion my beer if its ready to drink and I plan on drinking it in the near future. By the way have you made any lagers? Have a great day!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

No, my wife is a Doctor at a large hospital. I just have a Masters plus 60 post graduate credits in Biology, and have been teaching for 34 years. Never finished my final thesis for a doctorate. Moreover, please NEVER respond to any of my posts again. You are beyond condescending and disrespectful. This web site is about sharing ideas, and brewing in a friendly and congenial atmosphere. Obviously tolerance, respect, acceptance and civility are beyond you. Good day to you!  I apologize to the MB moderators and other good folks on this web site.

Sorry you feel that way Brian but we  live in the United States of America, at least I know I do,  where we have freedom of speech. We  have the choice to respond or not to respond. I spoke to you with the same respect you gave me. If you mention something that sounds absurd  or accurate,  to my knowledge I have the right to respond to you the same way. I guess you feel by giving me your resume that allows you to say what you want but i can't respond. If you dont want a response you won't like or agree with i suggest not posting anything because this is not THE MR.BEER FORUM ACCORDING TO BRIAN. This particular discussion forum is for new brewers correct? If you suggest ridiculously long conditioning times whether its true in your eyes or not does that sound inspirational or motivational to a brand new brewer? A 3.7 or 4.7% beer? Come on ,and mentioning drinking beer at 65 degrees to a new brewer? Then getting your feathers ruffled because I bring it to your attention. Maybe respondents up to this point have walked on egg shells when they've responded to your posts  and now your upset because I don't. I call them how I see them,and the words I speak mean as much as yours. Now go put that 6 month conditioned beer in the fridge already! Relax!  Have a wonderful evening!