Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mat2000_1

Newb Question about Adjuncts

My first batch of beer was the Classic American Light that came with my Mr Beer kit. 

I have two spare cans of CAL which I got from a second kit that I purchased and the other came with my 9-pack of HME I bought online. I was thinking that I might experiment with these two CAL's. 

I have read that only 1/3 of the alcohol should come from adjuncts MAXIMUM. 

Saying that, my first experimental batch with the CAL, I was considering adding a peach puree to the ferment after 1 week. In order to get more peaches in there and a slightly heavier beer, I was also thinking of adding an LME along with the HME to boost the malt. The LME is not considered an adjunct is it?

And how exactly would I make sure that I'm not adding too many pureed peaches to the mix? Do I measure the weight of the peach puree compared to the weight of the combined malts ? Or is it all based on the amount of sugars in the peaches? Or do you use a hydrometer on the peach puree? 

Is there an easy process for estimating the the added ABV for adjuncts such as fruithoneymaple syrup?

I do have a hydrometer but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I had many of the same questions.  I bought brewsmith where you can build your brew and the program will tell you what it will look like as far as estimated OG, FG, alcohol and even color.  The program is fairly intuitive.  There are also free programs but I can not think of them at the minute. Qbrew which is also free has the MR Beer HMEs preprogrammed and Screwy brewer has instructions on how to enter data.  Good luck.

BTW as far as using fruit, look at some of the fruity recipes on the Mr Beer site to see how much they use.  Usually 2 cans per HME.  I have brewed two such recipes.  

The LME is not considered an adjunct. Here is a fantastic article on adjuncts.

https://byo.com/porter/item/94-adjuncts-explained

Peaches themselves have a gravity around 1.046, but that doesn’t mean that if you add 1 lb of peaches to 1 gallon of water that it will result in a wort with a gravity of 1.046. In reality you’d end up closer to 1/8 of

that, 1.013. The peaches themselves contain water and will balance out the abv.

I'd recommend you slice the peaches, remove the pit, freeze them and add them to your fermentor after your beer has fermented completely. There will be another round of fermentation.  After another week or two make sure you've hit your FG and bottle.

I'd recommend you slice the peaches, remove the pit, freeze them and add them to your fermentor after your beer has fermented completely. There will be another round of fermentation.  After another week or two make sure you've hit your FG and bottle."

Mr. Beer sells fruit that works with the HME that Mr. Beer sells and there are specific instruction on how to use these fruits.  Since you know nothinhg about Mr.Beer, this is not the place for you to be instructing anyone.

Of course they sell fruit additions. What better way to make some extra money?  Mister beer is a prehopped malt extract kit. I've "brewed" with a mr beer kit. I've brewed with extract, partial mashes, partial boils full boils and all grain. Once it's fermented adding fruit to your beer os adding fruit to your beer. My answer was perfectly acceptable. 

Your resonse is not acceptable, because for new brewers using this product do not need to be overwhelmed by information from someone that cannot endorse the product.

I didn't realize slicing and freezing fruit was such an undertaking that it could possibly overwhelm somebody. My mistake.

The fruit that MrB sells has no preservatives and gunk in it that will funk with the yeasies like most store bought garbage has.  Its the same stuff sold across the country at LHBSs.  My suggestion is that since the OP has not done it before use something proven adding it when primary fermentation slows way down.  Then he can experiment with fresh.  Nothing worse than not having a baseline, trying it and have something happen (ie contamination) and quitting the hobby since it tasted like garbage.

Keep in mind fruit will not add all the flavor you think it will the first time you try it as those sugars will heavily ferment out unless doing a high gravity and the yeast hits its limits and gives up.  That is why for the majority of my fruit beers I now use extract which is also repeatable batch to batch.

Hey Everybody, I really appreciate all of the feedback that I've been given. 

And no worries, I'm not a huge fan of the CAL HME to begin with so that's why I'm thinking of experimenting with it. And if I wreck my beer in some way then so be it. I've got a beginner's mind and I'm ready to learn.

I've brewed and bottled my first batch, the plain old CAL. Fermenting a Summer Saison seasonal at the moment. Bottling a pear hard cider tonight, and then starting fermentation of the American Porter + Robust LME. 

I'm thinking that the Peach CAL may be my next batch or in the near future. 

I think that I will use fresh fruit, and either pasteurize it  with heat, or deep freeze and thaw it. I will wait a week and a half into fermentation then drop in the fruit and wait another week and a half before bottling. I understand that I will have to condition this beer much longer because of the fruit, and I'm guessing that it will have a wine like taste to it. But my wife may like that. I'm looking forward to experimenting a little with a recipe and since I'm not a really big fan of the CAL in the first place, I don't really feel like I can lose. 

Cheers my beerhood brothers.

The Summer Said on would have been a good beer to add the fruit to preferably tart cherries to smooth out the sourness. Add fruit when you make the beer and stay away from heavy syrup because the beer will most likely taste like cough medicine.Fruit in water added when you add the HME or before you top off your keg with cold water works fine. When you add fruit or DME to  a batch always fill your keg a little above the 8.5 mark because you will get more sediment soaking up the liquid volume during fermentation. Also keep your term temp 66-68 or with a lager yeast 50-52. The CAL is a great extract if jazzed up with .5-1 oz. Cascade or Citra hops for flavor and aroma  honey 6-8 oz and or Pilsen DME 1lb and a better yeast Sefale us-05 @ 65 deg or Seflager 34/70 @ 50-52 deg( medium size ice pack in cooler) either way ferment for 18-21 days. Good luck!

Thanks KLR, that sounds like a great reicpe but a bit too advanced for me yet I think. I'll probably go a few more months before I begin daring to use my hydrometer, dry hopping, steeping grains etc etc. It still confuses me quite a bit at the moment. I think making additions to my beer is the next step at the moment. 

Slow and steady. The important thing is you're brewing and that kicks ass!