Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wasson65

Canadian blonde

Just pitched a lbk of coopers Canadian blonde.  Boiled 1 lb of briess Pilsen light dme for 15 minutes, then flame out and stirred in 1/2 can of the Coopers 1.7 kg hme into the 1 liter of water. 

Filled lbk with 2 gallons of bottled spring water, cooled wort in a kitchen sink water bath and added to lbk.

Pitched the entire 7g package of coopers yeast, shook it for 2 minutes, now it's relaxing in my fermenting chamber at 65 ambient.

building my pipeline, will get to 5 lbks over the next three weeks

Yup, I have an eye on a nice conditioning area over the bed in the travel trailer, should stay around 75-78 degrees.  Figuring on brewing a batch a week, and anything I make that doesn't quite do it for me will go to my son who will be fine with most anything with a measurable ABV...

youre well on your way to obsession!

a warning about the mr beer lbk's...  they have a really bad tendency to have spigot breaks and leak. it's a good idea to ferment with them on a tray to catch any possible leaks or overflows from krausen blow out at the vents (if the yeast get overly excited). 

if you do experience a spigot break, be sure to contact mr beers customer support for a replacement spigot and ask if they will replace the lost kit too.

zorak1066 said:

youre well on your way to obsession!

a warning about the mr beer lbk's...  they have a really bad tendency to have spigot breaks and leak. it's a good idea to ferment with them on a tray to catch any possible leaks or overflows from krausen blow out at the vents (if the yeast get overly excited). 

The kit I bought is apparently from 2007, according to the little catalog.  My three new lbks came in and they have the nice new spigots.  I'll put an order in for a replacement the next time I buy something.

My son is picking up another Mr. Beer kit for me from craigslist - it's got $130 of refills included.  'Only used once'  he he he....

I'm considering rebuilding my fermentation chamber - essentially a closet with a set of shelves from floor to ceiling, with the cold air dumping into the bottom area, then having a way to control the height of the return air to the AC unit, with an eye towards creating a stratification of temperatures, with coolest at the bottom and warmest at the top, hopefully with a range of 55-70 from bottom to top.  Then each week I just bottle the top keg, move the other kegs up one rung of the ladder and start the new one on the bottom!

OK, I'm obsessed.  I get it.    

I did a Coopers Canadian Blonde with 700g Dextrose, 500g golden light DME, 225g Maltodextrin brewed to 21Liters I let it ferment for two weeks dry hopped with 14g Amarillo for the last 3 days....tasted after being in bottles for 2 weeks and they were great. and of course still getting better everyday...it's actually probably one of the best beers I've ever had!!!

Just under 24 hours in, and there's a great krausen on top - 3/8 to 3/4 inch think covering the entire top of the wort.

I did pull a little taste just to see what it was like - light, cloudy, not very sweet, and didn't seem nearly as 'green' as my American Ale did after 1 week!

I also got some stick on fermometers, as my lhbs guy said I might be risking putting the yeast to sleep with my 59-64 ambient temps.  As you can see, the Canadian Blonde is sitting around 63, so no problems there given the activity I have already.

Will have to see how it progresses, but looks like everything is on track at this point!

25ab4959-ef0e-4970-bcaf-26b633e93a49.jpe3a199cce-39c4-4639-9183-f5198cd86d59.jpe

newf84 said:I did a Coopers Canadian Blonde with 700g Dextrose, 500g golden light DME, 225g Maltodextrin brewed to 21Liters I let it ferment for two weeks dry hopped with 14g Amarillo for the last 3 days....tasted after being in bottles for 2 weeks and they were great. and of course still getting better everyday...it's actually probably one of the best beers I've ever had!!!

I think I'm going to bottle half of this and then dry-hop some Cascade for a few days, then bottle the rest.  I really want my wife to have some variety to try and see what she likes best.  OK, it's not for her, it's really for me, I'm curious!!!!

I think that's a great to dry hop half to see the difference 

Pitched the other half of the Cooper's Canadian Blonde.  This time I used 1 pound of dextrose and 1/2 packet of Safale US-05.  Boiled the sugar for about 5-6 minutes, then flame out and put in the HME.  Let it cool down, poured, added the yeast, then shook it for about 1-2 minutes.

It's in my fermenting area sitting at about 64-65 degrees.  About 8 hours in, some activity starting up, with some thin krausen forming.  Trying to build a routine, where Monday evening is brew night.

I ended up making 2 batches - one with 1 lb dextrose, one with 1 lb Pilsen dme.

After a couple weeks in the bottle they are drinkable.  Wife prefers the dme blend.

The dme is definitely smoother and just a touch darker, while the dextrose batch is crisper and dryer, with what I can only describe as a bit more 'champagne' taste.  She is happy to drink either.  The dme also showed better head and retention, as expected. 

She also noted that 'wow, that's no Coors Light, a couple of those will kick your ass!'

I had one of the dme blend over dinner with a friend, and after I finished it I realized I had just been drinking it as I would normally drink a commercial beer over dinner - it was a part of the experience and wasn't the focus. At that point, I declared victory - 'Hey, I made beer!'

Next time u do this maybe try a Lil of both DME and dextrose. Like 1/2 pound of each. 3/4 pound of DME and 1/4 dextrose