Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
frickstir

priming sugar amount

what is the correct amount of sugar(granulated) to use for the 740 ml bottle? is it 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 tsp. mr beer's priming sugar chart is confusing. received a brewing calendar the other day and for the 740ml bottle they say 2 1/2 tsp but the 750ml is 1 1/2 tsp suggestions here. also what is the max amount of time you can go for the fermentation process without the use of a hydrometer? i've been going the 3 week route with a additional 4-5 week s carbonation/conditioning and still have a slight cider taste is that the norm or should i continue conditioning longer?

The Priming Chart that I have says 2 tsp of table sugar for the 750 ml bottle.  I wouold go with that,  I really do not think that 10 ml is that much difference.

Refer to the chart here: Priming Sugar Chart.  

10 ml is not a big difference as noted.  Fact is, Mr. Beer has multiple versions of charts out there with multiple recommendations...  My trust Mr. Beer refrigerator magnet says for 22 ounces (650 ml) use 1 1/2 tsp.  That's the same they list for 740 ml and 750 ml on the chart I directed you to.  The magnet matches the chart for 1 liter, i.e. 2 1/2 tsp.  

Go to www.screwybrewer.com and use his calculator.  I find that 65% of the Mr. Beer levels is a good mark for me, and with bottle priming you can do multiple different amounts and compare them - most find 100% of the Mr. Beer levels is too much.

As far a a cidery taste, it's not the sugar you put in the bottles.  Give it more time, like 8 weeks in the bottle, ALL AT ROOM TEMP.

thank you sir. that's what i was thinking but wasn't sure.my last batch i used 1.5 tsp  and it seemed fine. now  one other question if you don't mind. i made a northwest pale ale  that i just finished drinking and it seemed to have  alot more of a head than beer when i poured my first glass(every bottle) then it seemed fine when i refilled the glass, should i let these beer's rest when you open them?

No need to let them rest.  If you're saying that pouring a 2nd bottle into a used glass resulted in more head, that's normal, as the glass is "dirty".  Most Mr. Beer batches have little head - steeping 1/4 lb of Carafoam or Carapils fixes that.

rick,

it's not the second bottle just after the initial first pour of every bottle i've had the head is minimal it just that first pour for some reason that the head is way to much and i'm pouring slowly at anan angle. i've made four other brews and none of them had the head the nw pale ale had.

The amber ale that I brewed using NW Pale Ale has also had a very large head.  I'll see how the brown ale that I brewed using it turns out.  I must admit that the volume and persistence is still something that surprises me sometimes :  sometimes less than desired, sometimes more, and sometimes just right when I don't really know what kry factor was different.