Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wasson65

QuakerFest

Encouraged by my foray into the grape nuts world, I decided to try a modified Oktoberfest mix.

1 can mr beer Oktoberfest

1 lb DME briess Traditional Dark

1/2 cup quick oats

Heated water, added DME, brought to boil, added oats, boiled about 12 minutes. Removed heat, let it sit about 10 minutes, added HME, stirred, cooled in sink bath, added to 2 gal spring water, pitched at about 74 the full 5g of mr beer yeast. Put it on the bottom rack of the fermenting chamber, should settle down to about 64.

we shall see

I used quick oats in a stout but I steeped the oats in a grain bag, then discarded. My stock water became a slurry. Gave it a real nice mouthfeel.

Let us know how this turns out.

gophers6 said:...My stock water became a slurry.

So far it looks like it's doing just what the grape-nuts batch did - producing a super-thick layer of trub, which at this point is probably all the oatmeal solids and not just yeast.  Krausen is about 1/4 inch thick over the entire surface at 10 hours in.  Temp is about 2 degrees higher than the 1.5 week old keg above it, which means it's off to the races at about 65 degrees.

I've heard warnings about not leaving grains in because the tannins leach out and spoil the taste, but I don't know how much that would apply to oatmeal.

While aerating (shaking) the wort in the LBK prior to pitching, it produced a persistent 3/4 inch layer of foam on top.  I'm hoping that's indicative of what the head might do when it's finished.   

Let us know, once it is all done. That seems like it could be a good one, I might have to make it.