Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kshaley

Doubling up on extracts

Hi there. I have read that some people have doubled up on the extracts when brewing. I am wondering what exactly this does. I assume that it creates a heavier more full bodied brew and also increases the alcohol content a bit. Is my assumption accurate? Also, when this is done, do you only use 1 packet of yeast or do you double up the yeast as well? This is regarding the standard 2 gallon batch with like extracts. Thanks!

If you go to the Mr. Beer site and look at their recipes, there are several that use 2 cans of extract. So, yes you can double the amount of extracts. You can pitch both yeast packets that come with the extract.

+1 you can double up on the extract no problem and you can pitch both packets of yeast.

Currently I'm drinking Powerful Patriot Ale, it has more body, more alcohol, and is a little stronger. I have other double HME's fermenting. I like it and I plan on experimenting with more.

I put 1/2 cup of honey in a double Patriot Lager Ale, and it boiled over. that was a mistake. I also used 2 packs of UTL yeast.

Doubling the HME will yield a stronger more full bodied beer, but also doubles the hop content. Sometimes that is a good thing, but could yield a result you were not expecting. A malty beer might end up hoppier than you planned. Since I am a hop head that generally does not bother me. I would definitely pitch twice the yeast as well.

What's your goal?  Chasing taste, or ABV?

As Docpd notes, you will dramatically change the flavor profile that was intended.  Use QBrew, downloadable at www.screwybrewer.com, to see the impact.

Many find that adding a pound of LME or DME to a standard Mr. Brew refill does wonders.  Or buying the Deluxe or Craft Series.

Keep in mind also that putting in two cans doubles your cost, and makes for a rather expensive brew.

I got a killer deal on another brew kit that comes with the Aztec and a pilsner. I will have 2 cans of the Aztec so I was thinking of doing a double with that. Anyone think this is not a good idea? I haven't brewed the Aztec yet but do like a full bodied and hoppy beer for sure! Thanks!

kshaley said:I got a killer deal on another brew kit that comes with the Aztec and a pilsner. I will have 2 cans of the Aztec so I was thinking of doing a double with that. Anyone think this is not a good idea? I haven't brewed the Aztec yet but do like a full bodied and hoppy beer for sure! Thanks!

Ok.  I think it's not a good idea... :)

The Aztec is NOT a hoppy bear.  Aztec is in fact one of the unhoppyest beers Mr. Beer sells.  IBU of 13.  In no way, shape or forum is Aztec "full bodied", nor will doubling it up make it so.  Add a pound of LME or DME, and dry hop something to go with it if you want - or do one of the Aztec recipes.  

Thank you sir. I will go for a single brew with it then. I've read quite a bit on this discussion board so I think after reading your response, it's best to stick with it the way it's intended to be brewed first time around. Much appreciated. 

For the Aztec Cerveza, try this;  Add 1 lb of Amber DME.  Then a 15 minute hop boil using 1 oz of Simcoe and 1 oz of Citra hops.  Then a 5 minute hop boil using Amarillo hops for aroma.  I just did this and it turned out really good.

Add the HME AFTER the hop boil.  Otherwise you will change its alpha profile.