Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kdjc

bad reveiws

I just went ahead and ordered the Choc. port. It didn't get very good reviews. Was wondering what could be done to make it taste better

Looking through the reviews, I see two complaints:  a bad taste like molasses from the brown sugar, and too much chocolate.  I have not used brown sugar in my brewing, but others have said that often brown sugar is just table sugar with molasses mixed in, and molasses can leave a tar-like flavor that many people do not like.  So, you could use 1/2 cup of honey instead.  I would suggest reducing the 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, but 1/2 cup doesn't seem like all that much, so you can try that amount or reduce it, as you choose, and then adjust that in a future batch if needed.

I used brown sugar in  a stout... bad move.  it is in fact just molassess mixed with cane sugar.  the yeast eat all the cane sugar and leave behind the molasasses.. rendering whatever you are brewing a black licorice tasting mess.  if you like black licorice go for it.

Ive used brown sugar in darks but for flavor and not to chase ABV.  Took a couple of batches to get what I wanted dialed in.  Dark brown sugar also has about double the molasses in it than light.  Also if I remember from reading the reviews in the past a lot of people are fairly new and tend to toss in every fermentable they can find so may have tossed in more than suggested.

Also, typical of an extract-only recipe it appeared to be a bit thin.  Could do a simple grain steep to fix that up easily.

I did one similar and the chocolate amount was fine, actually a little low really. Skip the brown sugar and two weeks into fermentation add high end vanilla extract,I added about an ounce and a half. If you want add more complexity add a little coffee to the bottles at bottling time. Just go easy if you do and I would say only on half the batch so you can compare.