Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tattooedtinter

today is brew day need some advice making 16 gallons

hey ya'll, I did the Mr. Beer kits with refills for a year doing 4 fermenting containers. My only day off is Sunday, so when it comes to bottling day after cleaning, sanitizing, letting your bottles air dry on a bottle tree holding 110 bottles I need 96 but need a few extra for back up. ( found out the hard way) capping certain bottles they crack. After a year of doing this I stopped till I can get kegs. Bottle day sucks!!!!  Over this week everything is in. stopped a Lowes and got some supplies ( 4) 5gallon food grade buckets and lids( 4) 3/8 rubber grommets. drilled a 3/8 hole into the top of each lid, put rubber grommet to fit airlock. checked all ( 4) to see if airlock fits, perfect fit. so I don't have enough of the Mr. Beer containers to fit all I'm doing. I'm going to do (2 ) batches if each, ( 4)  gallons in each 5gl. bucket with airlock. WILL THIS WORK?

A fermenter is a fermenter so it will work.  I take it you are trying to fill a half barrel?

I would be careful about using buckets from a hardware store even if they have the number 2 on the bottom. They are not in the food business. I use 5 gallon glass carboy's for double batches.

Um, its the manufacturer that stamps the #2, not the hardware store. If you buy the same #2 bucket from a restaurant supply store for $15.00, do you feel better because they are in the food business ???

^ what he said.

Only thing to keep in mind that these buckets are only good for about 4 gallons max.  A true 5 gallon bucket is 6.5 gallons.  Tattoo mentions this but this is just reference for others who may try.