Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
joecolley

So much for the summer hiatus

Decided I would experiment because the sales are good, my six different brew deep pipeline was being rapidly diminished, and lastly I think I may be addicted. I used my Coleman cooler that fits the LBK just right width wise and  leaves about 11 inches up front. Using just one 20 ounce frozen bottle I am currently fermenting at 66 degrees about 24 hours after yeast pitch and it is already pretty active.  

Sweet!! That is good to hear! I do the same thing for the summer time as well it is a good cheap way to keep the temperature down.

How often do you rotate the bottles? I hear every 12 hours, and the temp has dropped to the low 60's according to my stick on thermometer on the LBK. Should I switch to filling the frozen bottles half way?

Hey, good idea!

It's getting pretty warm around here also and a few weeks back I did the same thing tossing my two LBK's into two coolers in the closet. I've found I can consistently keep the temperature between 66-70 with one frozen water bottle (500ml) in each on hot days. I usually check them in the morning and sometime again in the evening. 

If they're too cold or sitting right at 66, I'll usually just leave out the water bottle and let them warm up again a little inside the cooler. Its still usually cooler inside there then outside and after 12 hours it usually doesnt bump up more then a few degrees. If after 12 hours with a water bottle they're still sitting around 71-73 Ill probably throw another water bottle in. 

I just about gave up brewing for the summer but this seems to work like a charm. After a few days of monitoring your temps and swapping out the bottles you'll find a good routine. Good luck and happy brewing!