Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrianBrew

Pumpkin Lager Advice

I am going to brew my Pumpkin Lager tomorrow so it has ample time to be ready for the fall. The recipe calls for 8oz of pumpkin puree. Do you think it would be overkill to use the whole 15 oz can considering I usually add 2 cans of fruit (blueberries, blackberries, apricots, raspberries, etc.) to a recipe? I was also thinking of adding it in on brew day so I can mix it in the wort before adding the yeast. I usually add fruit a week later, but pumpkin puree is a little thicker than the other fruits mentioned. The last tweak to the recipe is that I was thinking of using pumpkin pie spice, because mulling spices are hard to find.  If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

I did the pumpkin weisbier once... I used a whole can of puree. I wish I didn't.  you will end up with about 2 inches of trub, pumpkin slop in the bottom...what a loss!  then try using an auto siphon!!! it kept clogging. tried a screen on it... it kept clogging and I got air in the lines , which ended up in the beer.

I also blame Libby's canned puree (courtesy of a plant in MEXICO) for my first lactobacillus infected beer.  libby's apparently has plants in mexico and perhaps their level of sanitation isn't up to our standards.  I had filmy grey milky bubbles on top of the fermentation... and the finished product tasted like beer mixed with sour yogurt.

pumpkin spice is almost the same in my opinion as mulling spice.

how about you just follow the instructions regarding the addition of the puree?

How did this turn out? I know it is to late but my advise when adding pumpkin puree is to either put it in the mash when doing an all grain or if you put it in the boil use a mesh bag to strain as much of the solids as possible out. I learned the hard way. made a 5 gallon batch, used 3 cans of puree in the boil and did not filter. I lost over a gallon to the pumpkin solids and all the spices clung to them so it did not have much flavor at all. this years batch I will be adding the pumpkin to the mash in an all grain recipe.

I opted to add a can of pumpkin on brewing day. I added it to the keg just before pitching the yeast so I could stir it in the wort. I did however bake the pumpkin first. I will be bottling in a few day so we will see how that process goes.

I've had similar results to Zorak. At the time, I generally liked pumpkin beers and was excited to try it out. Pain in the butt to bottle and after all the conditioning, I wound up with infected brew that eventually went down the sink. Tried it again only once since and had similar results. No more pumpkin beers for me.

I took a sample of the pumpkin lager last night. I could taste the spices and the pumpkin. There was a good amount of trub, but I put a board under the front of my LBK while it was fermenting so it wouldn't block the spigot. This will be a nice beer for the fall.

I made a great Pumpkin Ale like this: Start with 1 qt of water in your pot. Add 8 ounces of Brown Sugar and mix well.Add 1-15 oz can of pumpkin puree,  sprinkle in 3/4 tsp (combined) allspice,cinnamon,nutmeg, and mix well. Bring this mixure to a boil and boil for 5 min. Remove from heat  then add 1 can MB Oktoberfest HME, 1 pouch MB Smooth LME and mix well. Add 1 gal of cold  purified water to the LBK and then add the wort to the LBK. Add more cold purified water to the LBK to bring the volume slightly above the 8.5 qt mark. Mix well. Sprinkle in the packet of MB yeast then put the lid on. Store at 68 deg. for 3 wks. Bottle after 3wks. Let condition at 68-70 deg for 4-6 wks then fridge for 2wks and enjoy!  

Thanks for the recipe KLR. I did the pumpkin lager recipe with a few tweaks. I used a whole can of pumpkin and baked it first as explained in the pumpkin rising recipe. I also used pumpkin pie spice instead of mulling spices and added one pound of wheat LME from my LHBS. I bottled mine up last week. I did get two less bottles of beer than I usually do. Besides that everything went well. I can't wait to try it.

KLR said:I made a great Pumpkin Ale like this: Start with 1 qt of water in your pot. Add 8 ounces of Brown Sugar and mix well.Add 1-15 oz can of pumpkin puree,  sprinkle in 3/4 tsp (combined) allspice,cinnamon,nutmeg, and mix well. Bring this mixure to a boil and boil for 5 min. Remove from heat  then add 1 can MB Oktoberfest HME, 1 pouch MB Smooth LME and mix well. Add 1 gal of cold  purified water to the LBK and then add the wort to the LBK. Add more cold purified water to the LBK to bring the volume slightly above the 8.5 qt mark. Mix well. Sprinkle in the packet of MB yeast then put the lid on. Store at 68 deg. for 3 wks. Bottle after 3wks. Let condition at 68-70 deg for 4-6 wks then fridge for 2wks and enjoy!  

That sounds pretty good, thanks for sharing the recipe.

I tried one of my Pumpkin Lager's last night after 3 weeks. I couldn't wait any longer. It tasted good. Had a nice spice flavor. The pumpkin flavor was a little weak to me. I will give it a few more week before I try another to see if the pumpkin flavor develops. I did use a whole can and baked it prior to adding it.