Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
StewyP

Smoked Blonde Ambiton

Hey Folks,

Going to be brewing the "Blonde Ambition" recipe (http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1313/nm/Blonde_Ambition_Recipe1) and am thinking about using smoked steeping grains to make a smoky version of the recipe.  Has anyone tried this before?  Or does anyone have any advice?  I am concerned that either this process won't impart enough smoke flavor/aroma to make a difference or that the hops might not mix well with the smoke flavor/aroma.

Any help is appreciated!

I have not tried that before nor do I have any advise for you but if it does work it sounds like it could be good!

We have not done a smoked blonde but we have used smoked peat malt on several occasions to make a smoked Porter and smoked chipotle Porter. We have an all grain setup so not exactly sure how it would translate to just a steep.. But word of caution.. Go lite! We only used roughly 2-4 oz in a 10lb grain bill. A little smoked flavor goes a lloonngg way! Cheers!

Barley is correct when he says "Go lite". It's VERY easy to overdo the smoke, especially in a lighter blonde. Moked/peated malt more common in Scottish ales, porters, or other dark beers. For an LBK, you probably only need a couple tablespoons of smoked malt. Like I said, it's a pretty strong malt and it's easy to overdo it.

I haven't had a smoking blonde in I don't know how long...  Let's see, I've been married for ...    :D

What?  They said "smoked blonde", not "smoking blonde"?  Beer, not a woman?  

• Like 2

I haven't had a smoking blonde in I don't know how long...  Let's see, I've been married for ...    :D

What?  They said "smoked blonde", not "smoking blonde"?  Beer, not a woman?  

HAHAHA!! Good one, Rick!

Yes, go very easy the first time.  Its better to have a beer that is not smokey enough the first time around and you can add more subsequent times (if you liked it in the first place) than have a beer that tastes like a BBQ pit and goes down the sink.  it has been a long time since Ive made one since SWMBO isnt too fond of the smoke so cant help you as to what constitutes "too little," "just right," or "Too much" but I believe there have been posts in the forum so do a search and you may find what you are looking for.

We are taking our crack at a "Smoking hot Blonde" (As Pops calls it). 

8lb 2-row

3 oz carapils

3 oz special B

3 oz smoked wheat

3 oz smoked peat malt

Just finished the boil (30 min with .5 oz UK Kent Golding). We want the smoke malt to shine. Smells incredible! 

post-65452-0-50176200-1425263074_thumb.j

Instead of the malt, wouldn't it make more sense to smoke the hops?  That's where the aroma and taste will come from.

Instead of the malt, wouldn't it make more sense to smoke the hops?  That's where the aroma and taste will come from.

Smoking hops would ruin them and kill any flavor or aroma they had. Hops are too expensive to do that when it's much easier and makes more sense to smoke the grains. Not all aroma comes from hops. The malts also provide many different aromas that contribute to the beer's overall aromatic profile.

• Like 2

I used to smoke banna peels, in high school bcuz sum a*****e told me it wud give me a buzz, after several unsuccessful attempts I then realized it was impossible to keep it lit, so that being said, well I dnt know where i'm going with this..............

• Like 1

No, you were suppose to to put the aspirin in the coke. We figure it came from the days they really put cocaine in coke(hence the name) back in the 1800s. Apparently my great grandparents really partied hearty. :lol:

When I was a teenager we were told a coke and an aspirin would get you a buzz.

It's coke and mentos.