Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jastew

Bottle Priming Bewitched Amber Ale

I'm bottling my second batch this weekend after 4 weeks in the LBK. What amount of sugar per bottle have you guys had success with?

I did the standard 3/4 for 12 oz bottles, and just did my first sample after 5 weeks in bottles last night. It seemed maybe a tad on the light carbonation side but not extremely so. So my advice would be 3/4. It is a pretty good beer I must say.

Many consider Mr. Beer`s levels too carbonated.  I use 65% of their levels (1/2 TSP) for a 12 oz bottle, or the calculator at http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/.  You put in the warmest temp the beer got to and the desired level of carbonation based on style.

You didn't say what size bottle you're using. I use MrB's rates on lighter beers and about 3/4 of that on Porters/Stouts.

Sorry Gopher, that bit of info would've been helpful. I've got 1 liter PET bottles and 16 oz fliptops. Not sure yet which I'll use.

I'll check out the site RickBeer mentioned, but looks like the consensus is 3/4 of Mr Beer recommends.

Thanks to all who commented.

I tried my first bottle this week after about 7 weeks of carbonation and it had a ton of head. It took several minutes to settle so I could drink it. It did, however, taste great.

I used 2/3 of the amount of sugar recommended by Mr Beer. Will the amount of carbonation settle out with time or continue to increase?

Assuming your 7 weeks was all at room temp (not in the frig), and then it was in the frig for at least 3 days, that`s the way it came out.  Are you complaining about the level of carbonation or the amount of head?  Try letting it sit a few minutes in the bottle before pouring.

7 weeks at room temp (all the rest are still at room temp), in the fridge for only two days. Interesting, not sure why would more time in the fridge matter?

It wasn't overly carbonated, just a lot of head (3-4 inches in a pint glass) when poured slowly.

Sit in the bottle opened before pouring?

It doesn't.  There is nothing that you can do to control that amount of Foam on top of your beer, unless you are pouring it to fast.

Excellent discussion.  Thanks so much for the link to the priming sugar calculator.