Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kshaley

Bottle Conditioning Question

Hi there fellow brewers,

I bottled my first batch 3 weeks ago today. I have read many threads on this but wanted to ask you.

My basement temp is around 68 to 70 degrees, doesn't drop much below 68 but may a little from time to time. I also have a closet where the temp is in the mid 70's, may get a little higher at times.

Would I be better off conditioning in my basement or do you feel the closet is a better option? I am currently using the closet.

Thank you for any input.

Kevin

I would do the basement for 4 weeks as well! That is a good temp to let it sit at for a while.

I have a question about conditioning lagers.  I ferment at 55 degrees in a thermostatically controlled cooler, but no where in the instructions do I remember seeing what temp to condition.  What's best for a lager?  Room temp or keep it in the cooler?

Rick,

I seldom do lagers, but I'll share what little I know.  If my memory serves me okay, after fermenting you want to raise the temp a few days for the diacetyl rest, then you want to lager it at a considerably lower temp than the initial fermentation, say like 40 degrees. After that, I do believe you can bottle and condition at regular room temp, say like 70 degrees.  That's about how I recall it, which may or may not be completely accurate.

That works great if you"re racking to a secondary fermenter which is pretty much a waste of time with a mr. beer fermenter. Ferment your lager @ 50-55 deg then bottle according to the mr. beer instructions and store the bottles at 68-70 deg no warmer for 4 weeks. Then lager the bottles in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks try one bottle and see where the taste is at that point. Try one bottle per week and make a note at which point the taste was the best that's your sweet spot for that beer.  Lagers only need to be at room temp in the bottle to carbonate their conditioning takes place  when you lager them in the fridge.