Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bilmarty

Stupid ?

I have been searching for a answer to this, I have seen people refer to a IPA, what is a IPA and how is it different from other beers, what does IPA stand for, the answer might be in here somewhere but I can't find it.

India Pale Ale.  Legend has it that IPA was developed for shipment from England to India because the large hop content would make it stable for months in transit at sea.  A closer reading of history suggests it was already popular in England at the time, but no doubt the hops helped in its shipment, adding to its popularity.  (By the way, there's no such thing as a stupid question here, just a lot of folks eager to learn about brewing.)

Beer style guide.

I'd add that there are dumb questions, but this isn't one of them :).

Here's some examples:

I added the yeast at 140 degrees.  Is my beer hosed?

I didn't follow any of the directions.  I opened the LBK every day, stuck my camera in there and took pics.  I let in oxygen, dust, cat fur.  Is my beer ok?

:)

A good way to learn about beer styles is to find a grocery or party store that allows you to make Mixer Sixers - a six pack where you can select individual bottles.  Usually the beers are fairly mainstream so wont be getting anything all too whacky, and if you dont like it you arent stuck with an entire sixer.

Part of brewing is learning about the many styles of beer, finding favorites and brewing them. The only stupid question is the one which is never asked - so says Confucius. IPA beers are typically bitter and amber, with a crisp hop finish, not malty or sweet. However, many variations exist. Try several from different breweries. All part of the fun.

my sink tap wasn't working so I scooped water out from my toilet bowl to use in the beer. water is water right?I forgot to boil it and just dumped the cans of malt in.  it's been nearly two months and still no foam stuff!!!!! :/  I do have some kind of mold growing in it now. is this beer? should I have opened the cans first? and what are these tiny foil packets labeled 'yeast' for? mr beer sux!!   (smirk)

bilmarty- as was pointed out that was actually a great question.  never be afraid to ask anything. yes we probably heard it asked a million times before... but those in the know will gladly answer again. it's the only way to learn.   when I first started I  used to run in a panic to the forum and ask silly questions like:

OMG!!!! ITS BEEN  30 minutes AND NOTHING IS HAPPENING?!!!! DID I MURDER MY YEAST??? OR IS IT AN INFECTION!!?!????    :)

it's all part of learning to make good beer.

zorak1066 said:when I first started I  used to run in a panic to the forum and ask silly questions like:

OMG!!!! ITS BEEN  30 minutes AND NOTHING IS HAPPENING?!!!! DID I MURDER MY YEAST??? OR IS IT AN INFECTION!!?!????    :)

it's all part of learning to make good beer. 

Yes, yes he did.  LOL

then came the amazing followup of... IT'S BEEN THREE HOURS AND STILL NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!!   :)

we've all been there. the beauty of beer brewers is that after the eye roll and chuckling is over, they will calm a noob down and share their knowledge.  then in time even the noob can start answering posts for other noobs... and the cycle continues.

Here's a question: which style is Heineken Dark? All I know is that I find it quite delicious!