Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
4bddn1

old product, is it working?

1st batch, dated 4yrs old, added 1 1/2 cups sugar. about 15days later bubbles stopped, but still have yeast colonies floating day 18. Are we good or do I dump?

Hmmm. 4yrs. old. I'm sure it's fermented after 18 days, but I'm not sure how it's going to taste.

Floaties really don't mean anything at all.  I would go ahead and bottle it up, if you dump it you won't have anything for another 2 weeks anyway, so might as well let it carb up and see how it is.

Probably won't be great, but hey, you made beer!

Welcome to the hobby.  Prepare to be assimilated.

Thanks! I'll go for it. One of my favorite sayings is, how bad could it be?

Adding sugar was ill-advised.  End result will likely be cidery.   Spend some time reading the forum.

Agree with Rick on the sugar.  Chase flavor, not abv.

No reason why the malt wouldnt be good assuing the can was not bulging.  It may have darkened a bit but that is about it.  What you have to worry about with age is the viability of the yeast.  I probably - no, I would have used the old yeast as a nutrient and picked up some fresh stuff.

I would have used neither the HME or yeast. Fresh is best.

As mentioned before, as long as the cans aren't bulging, or there are other signs of "oopsy", you can use it. The yeast is the first to go. However, you said it worked, so there you go.

As for adding 1.5 cups sugar... um... er... yeah, you might want to let the Bottled product sit for at least 2 months at room temp. There is going to be a cider taste to it.

Go read that simple guide line. Information all over the place.

A couple of weeks ago I dug out my Mr. Beer stuff and had 3 refills with expiration dates of 2011.  They went in the trash.  I didn't feel like doing the science experiment you're doing with 4 year old mix.