Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

Super yeast!

I'm brand new to the insanity. I made my first batch 3 days ago. Initially I thought my yeast was bad because it wasn't taking off as I expected. There was activity, the wort was churning and I could see little bubbles rising, but it was slow. After about 30 hours or so though, it went nuts! Krauesen(sp) all the way up into the lid! It has really calmed down now, but I know the magic is still happening. I'm a little obsessed already! Is 30 hours to peak normal?

All is normal. Watch the fermentation temperature, try to keep it mid 60's to 70 or so. Resist the temptation to open the lid and look in. You can find lots of good info here about making your MB brew. Ask questions if you're uncertain about something. We are a friendly group, and welcome to the hobby. Your first batch will not be your best, but you made it and it will taste great regardless. BTW which extract are you making?

I'm making Classic American Light. I haven't opened the lid, I can see just fine looking through with a flashlight. I pitched my yeast at 74°F, but I have no way to monitor it at the moment. 

Welcome. A  cooler helps helps keep the temps where they should be. As Brian said a good temp range to shoot for with ales is 65-70. Although with MB yeast I would pitch no higher than 65 and ferment between 68 and 70. Let it ferment for 3 wks. before bottling. Good Luck!

I appreciate all the tips folks. I'm not expecting to be blown away by this first batch. I'll be happy with "drinkable"! Lol

Welcome! Next time you order, get a stick on thermometer. Very important to keep the temp from getting too high.

Helped a new brewer do CAL and an older refill recently, and was surprised when the CAL fermentation was so active, actually a bit came out the vents.  66 degrees maintained throughout (freezer with temp controller).  It was CAL and a pound of LME.

I'm supposed to be getting a stick on thermometer in the mail as a gift for registering my kit.

Not quite.  You get a stick on check mark.  Green is good, red is not good.  No temp display on it.   Pretty useless IMHO.  

hey youre making beer!

there is no 'normal'. you are working with living critters (yeast). they have likes and dislikes.. comfort zones.. favorite things to eat.. etc. all you can do is make the best living conditions possible before you pitch them and cross your fingers. things you consider before pitching:

temp range?

did you aerate before pitching?

hygiene acceptable?

you will find that not every batch will work the same. some will be spewing volcanos of foam. some will have swirling storms of yeast activity . some will barely fizzle while yeast slowly and delicately munch away like old maids at a tea party.  point is, if you see any krausen (foamy stuff) and any trub (sludgy stuff on the bottom) the yeast is doing their thing. always try to make your yeast happy and they will reward you with beer!

now because it hasn't been said I think already.. do not open the lid until you are done fermenting. the accepted standard is 21 days to ferment, 14 days in a bottle to carb with sugar at room temp, 14 additional days at room temp to condition. every time you open the lid to look inside you risk getting bad things in your wort that could make really unpleasant things grow in it.

to monitor temps you could get a submersible aquarium thermometer (digital with probe) for peanuts. tape it to the outside then cover it with some insulating foil product like Reflectix. or simply take the ambient temp and guestimate that a really vigorous fermentation will raise the temp inside the lbk about 10 degrees. adjust the surrounding temp accordingly with frozen bottles of ice.. takes experimentation to get it just right.

good luck..welcome.. have fun.

Your right, "insanity", your OK but if you don't have the Hydrometer leave it in the LBK for three weeks before bottling to be completely sure its fully fermented.

I did a fair amount of research before I started the batch, so thankfully I haven't opened the the lid at all. I sanitized everything! Even the can itself before I opened it. The scissors I opened the yeast with? Yep, dunked them too! Lol! Almost 6 days in now and the activity has slowed, although there's still some foam hanging around. There's a clear layer about half an inch thick on top now.

For what it's worth, that free temperature sticker is as someone has already said, a simple green check / red x.

I bought several of these for me (3) LBKs.  You can find similar ones around, but I know this one fits nicely on an LBK.

Amazon Link

That's somewhat disappointing info about the stick on "thermometer" considering the one that's pictured on the website for $1.95. I just knew that was what I'd be getting! Lol

If you have a LHBS in your area you should be able to pick up one of the thermometers, like bluejay posted, in the $2-3 range. It will help to give you an idea of the fermentation temps so you know if you are hitting the upper or lower thresholds but will also help for several other things if you delve further into the addiction...hobby. You can monitor and record your fermenting temps to help with:

1.) batch priming

2.) homebrew competitions

Cheers!