Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

Timing seems ridiculously spot on

I've read that as fermentation completes that the lbk would begin to clear from the top down. Well, exactly one week in and the top half of the keg is clear, while the bottom half remains milky. And the line between  the two is REALLY defined. Pretty cool stuff!

That's correct the beer slowly clears from the top to the bottom. If its a low ABV beer with not a lot of fermentable sugars(CAL) this happens rather quickly(5-7 days). However the fermentation is not complete there is still a lot of yeast in suspension throughout the beer, which is why it is necessary to wait an extra 7-14 days for fermentation to complete. That is why even when a beer looks clear in the LBK you should take a gravity reading with a hydrometer or taste it to confirm that fermentation is complete and its ready for bottling. The chemical reaction of the yeast with the wort  is awesome to observe and from what your describing at this point in fermentation with the CAL your right on track. As the saying goes," God created beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy!"

yeast are really cool! imagine having a whole house full of ppl over that you don't know , for a feast. they eat like pigs.. gobble everything up... then spend a week cleaning up after themselves. before they leave they each give you a bottle of beer! when yeast are done making beer, they eat some of the byproducts of fermentation that can make off flavors. they clean up after themselves before settling down to sleep. that's one of the many reasons ppl let it go 21 days. it makes a better beer.

That's pretty awesome! I don't know if I can hold out for 21 days on my 1st batch! I'm getting pretty anxious to bottle it. Idk, we'll see.

Do not cheat on your first batch for bottling time.  Where you can cheat is with the conditioning time as a LEARNING EXPERIENCE.  You will need the first two weeks at least to carb, but after that feel free to try one realizing it will not be at its peak.  Try one the next week and take notes.  And another week.  This will help you see how the beer improves, stabilizes, then possible degrades over time.

There are those who cheated and tried a beer early, and then there are those that lie.

Hahaha! Saturday will make 2 weeks in the lbk. I'll try and hold out till next weekend. Maybe. Lol

Somebody once said "Patience is a virtue."  I'm not sure about that, but if you get hooked on this hobby, a second LBK (or more) will help build that pipeline of beer you'll want so you're not tempted to rush into bottling or tasting beers that aren't ready for prime time.

every batch I have ever made was like chrismas for me as a kid. when I was a tot I would go to bed on xmas eve and every hour shout out 'IS IT XMAS YET????' much to my parents dismay. finally around 5 am they had to wake all my siblings up to allow me to open a box or two so everyone could get some sleep.  every batch I perv the yeast when I can.. fascinated by their work.. waiting impatiently to get it done. sometimes I jiggle the fermenter and shout 'HURRY UP ALREADY!' when I am not satisfied that the yeast are working hard enough (the nerve of them!).  when bottled it's a fight to keep from cracking one open for 2 weeks.. but then I remember what uncarb'ed beer is like... just 14 more days!...just 13...12... ...... 2 more days.... YAY!!!!!!

I confess that even this day after a couple years (when I can afford to brew) I still start enjoying them prematurely... and still am fascinated at how much it changes for the better with time.

in my experience really hoppy beers start to degrade with time, only that the malt begins to come forward more and the hops fade into the background.  that's the only 'degradation' ive ever noticed... with the exception too of wheat beers. I find them at their best after 3 weeks of carb/conditioning... and don't really enjoy them as much after a month or so more.