Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

Covering The LBK

I've seen some videos on YouTube and a couple other places of people having their fermenters covered with towels or something. I know they do it to keep light out, but is it necessary with the LBK being as dark brown as it is?

That is not the reason.  People sometimes cover the LBK with a WET towel for temp control. There is no reason to cover it to keep out light.  That said, keep it in a cool closet.

Ok, thanks. I saw a whole series if vids where this dude had his 15 gallon fermenter wrapped in towels so "no UV light could penetrate", but he's pretty extreme too.

I don't have room in a dark closet so I have to use bedroom I put it on a bookcase and its close to the light so I throw a towel over my LBK just in case.

Brewing beer is about common sense.  Some don't have any...

If you put the LBK in direct sunlight and heat it up, you'll get bad beer - heat issue vs. a light issue.

Even if you don't heat it up too much, you'll get wild temp swings which are bad.

The key to brewing beer is to make it, put it in your spot (I use the basement), then go do something else for the next three weeks.  Those that are obsessive about other things in life generally are about making beer too.  The good news is that competent or incompetent, it's hard to screw up beer.

For some reason, some fermenters aren't dark.  Stupid design.

As already mentioned - keep it cool (65-70) and keep it out of direct sunlight. Reminds me of my backyard pool - I just add chlorine every 7 days or so and leave it be; it is crystal clear. A friend constantly plays around with this chemical and that, every day, and his pool is cloudy. Leave the beer alone; don't go "mad scientist" or obsessive and it will turn out fine if you used common sense.

I wish! The water table is too high to dig basements in my neck of the woods. Only 8 ft above sea level.

Just to re-iterate what has already been said...  The LBK's don't require a towel to keep light out, although you still don't want to put them in a sunny window.

A wet towel can be used to control temperatures, as can a frozen water bottle in some sort of cooler or other type of container that can hold the LBK.

as was mentioned .. its really hard to screw up beer if you have a good process and are careful about hygiene. while UV light can skunk a beer because of uv reacting with the hop oils I think,  and while some cfc florescent lights do in fact throw off some uv radiation.. ive fermented in nearly clear blue plastic beverage dispensers, in a room with cfc's.. and never had a problem with skunking. when I first started I freaked out about light and skunking... came here in a panic (once again). I was reassured by the old group that yeast are not vampires. light isn't going to kill them.  :)

I like to keep my LBK's in a picnic cooler while fermenting just to try to maintain a steady temperature.  A plastic pop bottle or two filled with frozen water will help lower temps in the cooler if the ambient room temperature is warmer than recommended for fermentation.

a perfect idea.. and.. if you ever have a spigot leak :/  it catches the mess, which will make the missus happy.  

mr beer lbks are notorious for spigot leaks since they changed their design.