Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sambeerindia

Hefeweizen Partial Mash without Wheat DME?

Hi folks,

for various reasons, Wheat DME is too hard for me to source.

I was curious if I can use a DME-plus-wheat-malt combination to make a decent PM Hefeweizen?

BORG advice requested.

/Sameer

Wheat malt can convert itself so that should not be an issue.  Issue is that it will clump so you will need to use rice husks or something (unless you are BIAB) to prevent a stuck mash.  Here is an AG version of a simple wheat beer.  Concert the 2-row back into extract (approx 1# grain = 0.6# DME).  Of grab any AG recipe and convert back to its PM equivalent.  Since you are doing a partial mash, I would use some 2-row.  Grab a program like BeerSmith and it will do the conversion for you.

AIH Summer Wheat AG

If you have wheat malt that will work fine in a pre boil tea. For a 2 gallon batch start with 2 qts of water for a 5 gallon batch start with 1 gal of water. Steep 1lb of wheat malt (in a grain bag )  at 160 for 30 min. Remove the grain bag and add 1lb Pale LME or DME. bring to a boil. At boil add 1oz of Perle, Hallertau or Tettnanger hops and boil for 30 min. Remove from heat, remove hops  and add 3.3lbs of pale malt LME or DME mix well. Pitch yeast (Munich,or WB-06,or equivelant) .Ferment @ 66-68 for more clove esters, ferment @ 70- 72 for more banana esters.

Hope this helps. Good Luck! 

Wheat malt can convert itself therefore there is no reason for an excessive boil to avoid DMS. The only times that you would have worry about DMS is if you weren't cooling the wort quick enough, fermentation temps were too cool and it takes off late, or you are racking to a secondary too soon.

To convert you will need to hold at a set temperature for around 60 minutes - off the top of my head (so you will want to double check) from around 146-156.  Lower temperatures will give you more fermentables whereas higher temps will give you more body.  A good, simple article on temperatures is given here:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/12/20/mash-temperature-and-beer-body-in-all-grain-brewing/

When I get too lazy to do a full AG batch I haul out my 2 or 3 gallon water bottle and get real sophisticated.  I use a large muslin sack to hold the grains, get the water and grain to temperature, and just close up.  The bottles I have allow you to open the top spigot and stick a thermometer in to check the temperature from time to time with no heat loss.  Rather than open to stir I just give it a shake.  To me this is pretty much a lazy man's brew in a bag, and since I am not extremely worried about temperature since the grain makes up a relatively small portion of the fermentables it works good enough for me.  Then simply sparge with hot water in a colander.