Sign in to follow this  
Another_Round

Double Chocolate Stout

I recently bottled up my Double Chocolate Stout:

2 cans American Porter

3/4 lb pure cocoa powder

1/2 lb lactose

2 packets of the yeast found under top of American Porter cans

Before bottling I did a taste test and, while I know the end result after conditioning will taste very different than the "green" beer that I bottled, it did not have much chocolate flavor.  At the end of bottling I usually tilt the keg to get a bottle or two more out of it and mark those bottles in case they have some off flavors from things being kicked up from the tilting of the keg.  When I did that this time, I got a thick syrupy liquid that came out into the last bottle and I realized that most of the cocoa powder seemed to have settled at the bottom of the keg.  I added the cocoa powder and lactose at flame-out and stirred them in.  I also stirred the whole concoction very thoroughly before pitching the yeast.  Has anyone else had this issue while using cocoa powder for a chocolate stout?  I know I used a lot of cocoa powder but I wanted to use enough to come through in flavor over the two Porter cans.  Any ideas or different strategies would be helpful.  Thanks!

I've used cocoa powder in my "It's Not Terry's Its My Chocolate Christmas Orange Stout" and I was not really impressed.  It took it probably a year for the taste to get where I liked it.   Next time I do this I am going to try it either with nibs or extract.  I did pick up some extract to make a chocolate-coconut brew for SWMBO.  Ive found that using extracts allows me better repeatability and less time for the flavors to mingle.  And yes, the powder will settle out so no biggie - probably just not the bestest trub bottle you will taste.

from what I understand the fats in cocoa powder will screw up your beer... I read you should use cocoa nibs for chocolate flavor instead.

I' ve  used Bakers chocolate squares with great results. For a 2 gal batch add 1oz @ the last 10 min of the boil and stir until fully dissolved.

I've used dark cocoa powder with good results. I put it in before the boil and made sure it was totally dissolved.