Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
junktruck

My first recipe/experiment would like your input

Hi,

I'm farly new to Mr Beer. i have only 3 batches under my belt but now i want to try putting together a "recipe"

My Mr beer was a leftover clearance sale kit that came with one of the discontinued West Cost Pale Ale refils with booster.

I figured this would be a good candidate for my first experiment.

here is what i want to do and i'd like your input.

1 can northwest pale ale HME

1 pouch Pale Brewmax LME

1 pouch Booster  - this is were i need input, should i use all of it, half of it or none?

1 pouch SAFALE US 05 yeast-- should i use the entire pouch of yeast or just half?

1/2 oz Citra hops - boiled for 10 min (i'm not a hop head but is this long enough?)

1/2 oz Cascade hops ( dry hopped 5 days before bottling)

So what are your thoughts and advice?

I have the booster but i don't want the cidery taste that i've read about. should i use it, just some of it or skip it?

For the yeast the Safale US 05 is about twice the weight of the mr beer yeast, is a full pack too much?

What do you think of my hops combo will this be OK(, i like mild citrusy floral hops tones)

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips, thanks much

I wouldn't use the booster. It takes a long time to get rid of any cidery taste it may have. Sometimes it does not go away at all. Using the whole pack of yeast will be fine. That combination of hops should work ok, just be sure to add the northwest pale ale after the hop boil, since it's already hopped.

Just throw out the booster, that HME and the LME is plenty of malt to make this beer hearty.  10 minutes boiling is more than enough, boil the Citra in the LME but of course not the HME.  Use the full pack of yeast, the only reason to divide it is if you were going to make another batch right now, or in the next couple of days.  So might as well use it all now, it won't be to much.  Those hops should be good.

Are you hopping naked or with a tea ball, muslin sack, ??

Do you plan on cold crashing?

Thanks for the input.

I will skip the booster and use all the yeast packet.

For the hops, i was going to make a sack/sachet using some sanitzed cheezecloth.

I never did a cold crash, i'm still pretty new to brewing so this is a step i'm not familar with. what is the purpose/benifit to doing this? and how would i go about it?

Cold crashing is putting the LBK in the frig for 3 days to settle the yeast and other things in suspension as well as solidify the trub which gets you more beer.

You should prop up the front of the LBK with 2 CD cases or similar to keep the trub away from the nozzle both when brewing and cold crashing.

You could also use the booster for bottle priming instead of using table sugar. All the booster is is corn sugar.

Booster is more than just corn sugar.  It's actually a combination of several kinds of fermentable and non-fermentable sugars.

8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.  

Corn sugar is Dextrose, so only 20% of booster. Maltodextrine is a form of Maltose, and what makes up half of the booster.  The rest is various other forms of sugars.

I like the recipe. Sounds good with or without the booster. I'm not a big fan of the booster, but it seems to fit here. I like the hop addition choice, and the US-05 yeast should give you a nice clean flavor profile. I would keep my fermentation temperature 66-68 deg F, to keep down the esters and such. Let it ferment the full 21 days. Should be a good Football beer!

Thanks swen, I was told it was corn sugar, however it could still be used for bottle priming, could it not?

Brian N. said:I like the recipe. Sounds good with or without the booster. I'm not a big fan of the booster, but it seems to fit here.

I agree. There are occasions where booster works. This seems like it could be one of them. It will definitely require a longer lagering time to smooth out the cidery taste that can result, though.

Although these days I usually just use sugar, in the past I would use Booster in IPAs to help thin them out a bit rather than adding the thickness of malt as that brought it more to style.  There is a place for using Booster.  imho a stout or porter wasn't one and I think that is where it got a lot of its bad rap.

Use the entire yeast pack.  imho it is not worth the risk of trying to save it and end up using dead or contaminated yeast in your next batch.

Thanks for all the advise.

In the end i used just one cup of booster, couldn't help my self had to toss in some of it LOL!

I messed up on the hops too but i think it should be fine. i steeped the Cascade (instead of Citra) so i'll dry hop the Citra.

I think i'll toss the Citra in around 16-17 days from now and let it sit 4-5 days, then cold crash for 2-3 days before bottling. Does that sound about right?

Should be good either way with the "C" hops.  I primarily use Cascade, but if I had some free Citra on hand I would probably use that for the aroma/dry.