Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
powers1334

Butter in my wort(oil)

Without getting to much into detail, what will butter do to my wort before fermentation? Or if added post fermentation, how will it affect bottle carbonation. As for the butter, small amounts will be used...approximately 4-6 tablespoons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would RUIN IT.  F-A-T.

Very bad idea.  Google is your friend, or in this case your protector.

While you're using Google, you can find articles about using one small drop of olive oil to provide chemicals that the yeast need oxygen to produce during their lag and growth phases.  But even if trying that, I would still oxygenate your wort once it has cooled from a hop boil.  And the chemical is specifically in olive oil, not butter.  And 4 tbsp would be way way too much.  If you need more, look up "diacetyl".

RickBeer said:Very bad idea.  Google is your friend, or in this case your protector.

lol!

Just for s&g I actually did google it.  Not a single item came up.  That should say something right there.

i googled butter beer and got references to two things:

Butter Beer - a drink from the Harry Potter movies / books that has nothing to do with beer.

Buttered Beer - a drink from tudor England with beer, cream and butter and other things.

it might be that they are a harry potter fan and wanted to make butter beer.. thinking one can simply add butter to wort??? dunno.

I dont think Ive watched a Harry Potter all the way through so that didnt even occur to me.  For whatever reason it did not show up in my search.nor did the tudor.  The tudor did intrigue me.  Just in case this is what he is trying to do I decided to post the recipe.