Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
asnider

Bavarian Weissbeir carbonating in LBK but hasn't hit FG!

This is a new one for me: my beer has started carbonating in the LBK before it's even hit FG!

I made a quick batch of the MrBeer Bavarian Weissbeir without any modifications. It's been fermenting for roughly 14 days now. Usually, I leave my beer in the LBK for 21 days, but I find wheat beer tend to finish faster so I checked on it today.

I took a hydro sample and it read 1.010. Expected FG is 1.008, so it's close but probably needs another day or two. The weird thing is that the hydro sample was slightly carbonated. I have, occasionally, had hydro samples that were slightly carbonated, but never before they'd reached their expected FG.

Any idea what's going on here? Should I bottle now even though my FG is slightly higher than expected?

Other details: temperature has probably fluctuated slightly, but always within the 68-72F range recommended for MB yeast. Carb sample definitely tasted like it's ready for bottling.

Any thoughts from the community?

If it's not done fermenting your sample will be a little fizzy. That could be what's going on. That's why they say the taste test at bottling should be flat.

So I'm just over eager on this one, I guess. Thanks for the info.

Since I normally don't even bother to check until close to 21 days, I guess I've just never experienced this until now.