Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
asnider

Splitting a 5-gallon kit between 2 LBKs -- How does this look?

NOTE: A few of you may have seen this post on another forum, but it looks like MrBeer's forums are more active these days, so I'm posting here as well, in the hope of getting a quicker response.

I'm planning to do a very simple red ale, partly just because I want something simple and partly because it's an excuse to see the difference that two different yeast strains make on an otherwise identical recipe (doing a 5-gallon kit split between two LBKs).

I'd love feedback from the Borg. I'm using a Muntons HME as a base, but planning to use amber DME instead of corn sugar. Will this be too much malt if I don't add additional hops, or will it likely turn out OK?

Also, does anyone know how to enter Muntons Red Ale HME into Qbrew? I couldn't find it listed in the database, so I used the Old Ale since it seems most similar. One thing to note: Muntons says the OG for both the Old Ale and the Red Ale should be 1.060 to 1.064. I'm getting a much lower number despite my batch size being smaller than the normal 5 gallons and using DME instead of straight sugar. Any idea what's going on there?

Modified Muntons Red Ale

------------------------

Brewer: Adam Snider

Style: Irish Red Ale

Batch: 4.26 galExtract

Characteristics

---------------

Recipe Gravity: 1.051 OG

Recipe Bitterness: 25 IBU

Recipe Color: 12° SRM

Estimated FG: 1.013

Alcohol by Volume: 4.9%

Alcohol by Weight: 3.9%

Ingredients

-----------

Amber DME 2.20 lb, Extract, Extract

Muntons Premium HME - Old Ale 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract

Muntons Premium HME - Old Ale 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Coopers Ale Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 68°-76° F 2.0 GRAMS 

Muntons Standard 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 64°-68° F 6 GRAMS 

Notes

-----

Recipe Notes:

Batch Notes:

Splitting between two LBKs, using Muntons yeast in one and Coopers yeast in the other.

I suggest you read the can more closely.  I believe their OG would be based on the number of imperial pints it says it makes, usually without the addition of sugar.  12 imperial pints is 1.8 US Gallons.  Play with that in QBrew, without any additions, and you get 1.066 OG.

I think your plan of adding DME is a good one.  I'd brew two 2.5 gallon batches, not 2.3 gallon.

RickBeer said:I suggest you read the can more closely.  I believe their OG would be based on the number of imperial pints it says it makes, usually without the addition of sugar.  12 imperial pints is 1.8 US Gallons.  Play with that in QBrew, without any additions, and you get 1.066 OG..

The can says it makes 66 bottles (23 litres or 6 gallons) and the instructions call for the addition of 1kg (2.2 lbs) of corn sugar. However, I read the instructions more closely and it says the OG should actually be between 1.040 and 1.044. It looks like their website (where I got the 1.060 to 1.064 range) has inaccurate information. Running it as a 5-gallon batch gives me an OG of 1.044 in Qbrew (using the DME rather than corn sugar).

I will make two 2.5 gallon batches, however. I'm not sure what I was thinking doing them smaller than that. Thanks for the tip.

asnider said:
RickBeer said:I suggest you read the can more closely.  I believe their OG would be based on the number of imperial pints it says it makes, usually without the addition of sugar.  12 imperial pints is 1.8 US Gallons.  Play with that in QBrew, without any additions, and you get 1.066 OG..

The can says it makes 66 bottles (23 litres or 6 gallons) and the instructions call for the addition of 1kg (2.2 lbs) of corn sugar. However, I read the instructions more closely and it says the OG should actually be between 1.040 and 1.044. It looks like their website (where I got the 1.060 to 1.064 range) has inaccurate information. Running it as a 5-gallon batch gives me an OG of 1.044 in Qbrew (using the DME rather than corn sugar).

I will make two 2.5 gallon batches, however. I'm not sure what I was thinking doing them smaller than that. Thanks for the tip.

It seems like some of the cans say 23 imperial liters (Old Ale), some say 12 imperial pints (Red Ale).  The difference is in what you add, i.e. sugar/DME/LME.  Add nothing and you brew the smaller amount.  Add 2.2 lbs of DME or 3 pounds of LME, brew 5 or 6 gallons as you prefer - and given the 2.5 gallon capacity of the LBK, 5 is best.

I made Munton's Nut Brown as my first 5 gallon batch. I used two different yeasts, but one of the batches got infected so I never compared them.  Now I only do full 5 gallon extract recipes (i.e. steeped grains, LME, hops).  I just made a Bell's Best Brown clone, 1/2 way done.

Some of those kits are quite confusing.  I did a Brewferm and had to bang my head against the wall to figure out what the final result would be as they never really tell you.  The instructions tell you exactly what amount to clean the can out with, etc.

The Muntons kit says it will make 6 gallons, but the folks at my local store tell me its better if you make it in a 5 gallon batch.  I've read this elsewhere too.