Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kshaley

Golden LME with Winter Dark Ale

Just curious. I have a package of golden LME. Do you think it would be ok to add it to the winter dark ale? The LME was a freebie and I'd like to use it but if it's not recommended to add to the dark ale I can hold off for another brew? Thanks

Should work fine.  You should enjoy the result, and it's part of learning how the ingredients go together. 

Hate to disagree, so I'll just raise this caution.

Winter Dark is one of the best refills in my opinion.  It's a very nice dark beer.

Golden LME is the WHEAT LME that Mr. Beer sells.  I'd have no problem adding Pale, Smooth, or Robust, but I wouldn't add a Wheat LME to such a great refill and take a chance on making it not so great.

I've never used wheat LME, I've never tasted wheat LME, just raising a caution flag.

Agree with Rick - some combinations are not that compatible. I've added a 1/2 pound of a dark DME to the Winter Ale, but it is good just by itself. BTW, the Winter Ale ferments aggressively, so keep a pan under the LBK. This one you really want to let ferment for the full three weeks, and fully condition for a month or more. I can hardly wait for my basement to cool down so I can get a batch going in time for those "Dark days of Winter", sitting by the fire with my wife, drinking a home brew Dark Winter Ale (While my two sons shovel the driveway!).

IMHO Winter Dark alone is too bitter and needs to be balanced out with more malt. Last time I added 2/3 lb amber LME and was very happy with it.

I don't mean to argue about this, but I have used wheat DME in a variety of ales with good results.  The use of DME rather than LME was just a matter of how much I was using and availabilty, and should not change the result significantly.  My experience is that wheat smoothes out the finish, which can be desirable since Winter Dark Ale is fairly bitter.  In this case, it's a matter of learning the ingredients and whether the brewer likes the result.  As a learning process, I have had things that in theory could have been mistakes, but from the outcome I ended up saying "I'll make that mistake again. 

All good info. Where I like bitter maybe I will hold off on adding the LME and try the winter ale as is. Thank you all.

For my taste, I like the bitterness and I would say try it first as is, then make adjustments to the next batch to suit your taste. Get a "base" taste first. However as Foothiller said - some great combinations happen by accident or at first don't seem right (peanut butter and chocolate - who thought of that?). Anyway, good luck with your brew - as long as you don't go too crazy mad scientist it should be fine.

Personally, I don't like bitter beer and I would probably look to add some DME to smooth this one out.  I have a can of this sitting on deck to brew.  My local store recommended Golden Light DME, but since this is a dark ale I wonder about adding dark DME to it.  Any thoughts about that?

Sure you can add dark DME. A little dark malt goes a long though way as it is kind of overpowering. I'd go with 1/2lb.

I would add the golden LME, brew it, ferment it,carb it, condition and enjoy it!  Its definitely a combination I've made before. If you really like wheat beers I would suggest using a wheat yeast (Saflager WB 06 or  Danstar Munich).