Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
raiderrob67

Reseeding bottle's with yeast

Has any one ever reseeded there bottle's with yeast or heard of this? to make a long story short I don't think I have enough yeast in suspension to get my beer carbed. I bottled on Tuesday and there is NO sediment in the bottle's and my plastic test bottle is not getting hard. I have about 20oz of beer from the bottom of the fermenter(lost about 1/2 gallon) that is very trubish. I was wondering if I could use that to reseed the bottle's. I would sanitize the outside of the bottle's, take the cap of, shake up the trub bottle and use a sanitized eye dropper to put some in each bottle then recap them. what do you all think?

Sometimes it takes a week or more for the bottle to firm up. It is highly unlikely that you don't have enough yeast.   Any  chance you did not put sugar in that bottle?

Yep! I batched primed and I for sure put the sugar in. the reason I don't think there is enough yeast because there is absolutely no sediment in the bottom of bottle. usually I can see sediment forming after the first 12 hour's or so.

Assuming they are in a 70 degree area, give it at least a full week to firm up.

Thanks guy's. just talked to guy @ LHBS and he said the yeast I used S-04 will probably not produce much sediment so I can not really use that as an indicator. I will just let them sit for 3-4 week's and if they are still not carbed I will just chalk it up to experience.(and drink flat beer, LOL). 

I do it all the time with my strong Belgium & other high ABV beers   I batch prime when I bottle so it gets added to the priming solution

every batch will potentially behave differently.  ive had bottles firm up in less than 4 days because of really hyper active yeast I guess. ive had bottles that in 3 weeks were still semi-flaccid only to go rock hard a couple days later.

I've had the glass bottles explode.  Every batch is different.