Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Do You Cover Your LBK?

I have my LBK on a table covered with a towel to hide it from light. Do I really need to do that to avoid skunking?

I did that on my 1st batch, but everyone said that its UV light that skunks the beer, not artificial light, so unless you have it near any windows it should be fine. Now, some people cover it with WET towels for temperature control.

I never have but my brew/fermentation areas is in the basement so light is minimal.  But it certainly cant hurt.

As long as your temps are cool enough, otherwise it will act as insulation and keep your brew too warm, too long.

an excellent question! I asked the same thing more or less when I started too.  beer doesn't turn skunky under normal house light. it turns skunky if it is exposed to UV light.  so.. normal incandescent bulbs are fine.  cfc bulbs... well, they do give off some uv radiation I think.  sunlight? definitely bad.

it is the reaction of the hop oils with the UV sunlight that makes a beer develop a skunky / sulfur quality. if your lbk (which is brown right?) is on a counter in direct sunlight... bad.  if it is in a bathroom shower or a closet.. good.

as epete28 pointed out a wet towel helps with keeping temps down in the lbk.  (good call pete!)

beer is not a vampire...   :)

not me bob.. I love perving my yeast. nothing like watching the little buggers kick up a yeast hurricane in a fermenter!  I figure.. I am their god. I gave them life (reactivated them).. a home... food... so I think I am entitled to watch them go about their business. sometimes I swear I can hear their 200 billion happy voices singing my praises when I walk by.

hahahaha.  Love your comment.  OK now.  When I get home this weekend I too will perve my brew for the next several weeks!  Love a good laugh to start my day.  Thanks zorak.

Thanks for the clarification zorak. The LBK is against a wall out of direct sunlight. The room stays around 70' to 72' at this time of the year. I controlled temps during the first week of fermentation using the cool brewing container.

as long as you aren't opening the lid on your fermenter I see no problems perving.  now If you start singing lovingly to your yeast and stroking the fermenter while making cooing noises... then I think you have a problem.