azmark

October Fesb

How's this for advanced?

3 cans Mr. Beer Octoberfest.

3   2 lbs of light DME

2 packets of booster

1 oz Galena 40min boil with the DME

2 LBK size batch (~5gal)

From some small calculations I did, I was thinking it would come out to about 6.5%abv and 65ibus.  Hopeing for a near esb style brew.

At bottling is seems way too sweet and way to strong.  Too much booster for the sweet, and not enough water for the abv I'm sure.  ABV seems to be about 7.2%  I'll give it some time and hope it conditions out a bit.

Yikes.  

First, what was your goal in making that?  Why use booster?  Did you use any brewing software to figure out how it would come out?

Given that Mr. Beer's base refills run around 3.1% ABV, you're already over 9% with three cans.  Then you added 3 lbs of light DME, which pushed it to over 15% ABV.  Then two packs of booster?  And you used the Mr. Beer yeast?  

QBrew shows 17.1% ABV with an OG of 1.177 and an FG of 1.044.    I can't imagine what calculations you did for ABV or IBUs, but neither are remotely in the ballpark.  

I'm no yeast expert, but you can't brew a high ABV beer with normal yeast.  

There are a lot of posts on the forum that discuss things like not going all mad scientist, and not chasing ABV.  What you did is pretty much exactly what we recommend people not do.  Sort of like a textbook not to do.

Most of the time, we say "well, you will have beer".   In this case, I don't think you will.  I cannot imagine you ending up with anything that is at all drinkable.  And you wasted a lot of money to get there.

I would bag all of the bottles so that if you have bottle bombs no one gets hurt and no damage occurs.

If one wants to make higher ABVs, there are Mr. Beer recipes involving two cans of base refill.  Or recipes using Craft Series and a packet of LME.  Or Seasonal refills.  

Anyone that you offer this to should be warned that the alcohol content is very high and that it will likely taste awful.  

Sorry.   :wacko:

• Like 1

I took 2 LBK size batch to mean 2 gallons, i.e. one batch.  If you in fact filled two 2.13 gallon LBKs from this, then the numbers are still bad but not as bad of course.

OG of 1.096, FG of 1.024, ABV of 9.3%.  41 IBUs.  

If you made two FULL LBKs, i.e. 2.5 gallons each, it drops to 7.9% ABV with 40 IBUs.  

If I was going to make something like that, I would have eliminated the booster totally.  Two 2.13 gallon batches would have yielded 7.7% ABV and 48 IBUs.  

I think Oktoberfest is one of the best Mr. Beer brews in the base refills.  IMHO, you added too much DME and the booster.  I think it may be ok over some very long time, meaning ok to drink, but it's not going to ever taste good.

Sorry, that was 2 lbs of dme not 3 ( my bad in the first post).,,,and tried to fill out the lbk's to be closer to 5gal.  Adding the galena and the ibus from the Octoberfest I was guessing closer to 60ibus,, but that didn't come through in the sample taste. (neither did 40 for that matter)

Adding booster was for drying out / adding body / getting rid of ingredients.

Wow - Not something I would brew - but let us know after a few months  of conditioning how it turns out. Also, the MB yeast are normally not used for such high gravity beers. I've brewed the Oktoberfest with steeping Vienna grains and it was great. 

Pitched full pack of US-05. 

I figured it to be 6.5%, and came out 7.2% so still low gravity enough not to be an underpitch.  Fermented cool, in the low 60's, and the test taste at bottling didn't reveal any off flavors, except for being a bit too sweet

Brian, did you add any LME or DME or just the steeping grains to the HME?

fwiw I'd add a 8oz carapils steep to that, Also I'd let it age 3-4 months. I go by YankeeDag's rule of thumb for conditioning, example: OG 0.0X0,  X= the number of weeks to age.

Wayyy too confusing! Keep it simple. The booster is not a bad choice but one packet would have been sufficient.

1 can of Oktoberfest

1 packet of smooth LME

1 packet of booster

1 oz of MTt Hood hops .5oz @ 20 min and .5oz at 7 min

all purified water and s23 yeast fermented at 53-55 deg for 3wks

Bottle condition for 4-6 at 70 deg and lager for 2+wks

ABV around 6.2%

Done. Enjoy! Your Welcome.

Well I cracked the first bottle over the weekend after two weeks in the bottle.

Very well carbed, nice tan head, clear dark amber color.

Still a bit of sweetness up front, hopefully that will mellow out more with a bit more time.  But a good mid mouth bitterness that helped knock down the sweetness nicely.  Little bit of alcohol in the finish, but worked more to clear the pallet than it was annoying.  

Great craft beer?  No. But one of the top 3 batches I've brewed, even after just two weeks.  This is the only beer I've brewed that I might confuse with a commercial craft brew.  No yeasty taste or smell, no extract twang, plenty of hop bitterness.

Wayyy too confusing! Keep it simple. The booster is not a bad choice but one packet would have been sufficient.

1 can of Oktoberfest

1 packet of smooth LME

1 packet of booster

1 oz of MTt Hood hops .5oz @ 20 min and .5oz at 7 min

all purified water and s23 yeast fermented at 53-55 deg for 3wks

Bottle condition for 4-6 at 70 deg and lager for 2+wks

ABV around 6.2%

Done. Enjoy! Your Welcome.

I'm guessing this is for one LBK?  I just did mine for a double batch, and split between 2 lbk's.  So Our recipes are very similar.

I bottled this 5 weeks ago using an old 550g can of the Oktoberfest Vienna Lager, and tried one yesterday, tasted good but not as strong as yours.

1 Octoberfest Vienna Lager (550g)

1 pale LME (making it equivalent to the modern can)

8 oz Briess Golden Light

0.5 oz Saaz

S-23 lager yeast fermented at 66deg. on floor

I like the S-23, seemed to taste fairly clean despite the relatively high temp.

I will use the booster if I want a really light refreshing beer to give a bit more body without increasing malt taste. I started an American light with booster and 0.5 oz Cascade this week.

Yes AZMARK it is for a one LBK batch.

OKTOBERFEST I made the CAL last year using Pale LME, Booster, and 1oz of Cascade hops boiled for 20 min. and the MB yeast  and it was pretty good .

I'm fermenting a can of Oktoberfest now that I added 3/4 lb of Light DME and a half ounce of Hallertau hops.  

Let us know how yours turns out.

I think mine still have a couple more weeks before they come into their own.