Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mattfly77

Sanitization mishap....

I know there's really no way to tell until the beer is tasted, but when I was brewing a batch this afternoon I accidentally dropped my whisk into the wort.....the handle had not been sanitized, only the whisk end. Should've sanitized the whole thing but the bowl I was using today wasn't big enough for it to fit in...

Anyway, is it almost guaranteed that if something that isn't sanitized comes in contact with the wort that it could be ruined? It wasn't in there but 2 or 3 seconds, but I'm just hoping it doesn't cause a problem.....man it stinks that it happened....it was the AstroNut Brown Ale craft brewery recipe. 

Yes, it is pretty much a lost cause.  You need to package it up when you bottle it and mail it to a certified examiner for inspection and possible defection (that's removing an infection).  

Send it to:

RickBeer

123 I Will Drink Your Beer Lane

Ann Arbor, MI  48105

I will then carefully test every bottle, every drop of beer to ensure that no infected beer remains, and I will issue you a written report.    :lol:

In the old days, flies and other bugs, bird waste, you name it got in the beer.  It's almost guaranteed that EVERYTHING IS FINE!

RDWHAHB (Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew).

• Like 6

Great guys, thanks! Btw, I notice they changed the forum here. I was a member on the previous one for several years, but I had to start a new account for this one.....was there no way to bring your profile over from the other forum?

I am guessing you were a member of the old-old forum.  They made a change awhile back that was not popular with many of the old users and drove them away, and they have recently changed to this new software that has many of the features that made the previous one a big pain.  When they did the first migration if your MrB account (where you buy stuff) and the forum account did not match in user name AND password everything would be lost.

I wouldn't get too worked up about dunking a whisk or a spoon but, personally, I keep a spray bottle of star san handy (especially on the cool-down side of the brew schedule) for just that reason.

• Like 2

I know there's really no way to tell until the beer is tasted, but when I was brewing a batch this afternoon I accidentally dropped my whisk into the wort.....the handle had not been sanitized, only the whisk end. Should've sanitized the whole thing but the bowl I was using today wasn't big enough for it to fit in...

Anyway, is it almost guaranteed that if something that isn't sanitized comes in contact with the wort that it could be ruined? It wasn't in there but 2 or 3 seconds, but I'm just hoping it doesn't cause a problem.....man it stinks that it happened....it was the AstroNut Brown Ale craft brewery recipe. 

consider this: beer was originally made by sweaty men living in primitive conditions ... who thought that the magic beer stick they stirred their wort with  made beer. they didn't know what yeast were. consider too that beer came about as a way to make yucky unsafe water safe to drink. yeast make the wort a very unpleasant place to live for anything not yeast.. and will defend against intruders..usually.

that being said, infections can and do happen... BUT... if you are even remotely careful with your sanitation ie you don't use your whisk to strain out the poop from your cats litter box before using it to stir wort,  you should be fine.

As everyone has mentioned here, you should be fine.  I am interested to know how it turns out for you though.  Our collaborations are really exciting for us as these are people that started out with a Mr. Beer kit and have turned their hobby into a business.  We start so many people that it was easy to find quite a few to help us with this program.  We hope to be able to bring more of these recipes in the future. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I guess I must have been part of the old old forum.....I haven't been back on this forum portion of the website in almost 2 years so maybe that's it.

I'll post how the AstroNut turns out for everyone.....bottling tomorrow!

If you brewed on 11/23, you'd ideally want to bottle on 12/14, give the beer a full three weeks.  You can bottle at two weeks if you're sure fermentation is done either by checking gravity readings across a few days, seeing that you've hit your final gravity, or seeing that the beer doesn't taste sweet at all.

While I recommend 3-4 (3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks in bottles), I routinely go about 18 days fermenting and then cold crash for 2 or 3 days and then bottle.  I always go 4 weeks in bottles, if not longer.

Thanks RickBeer. I bottled after 16 days of fermenting so hopefully that'll be ok. I have cold crashed before but didn't this time....keeping my fingers crossed that it'll turn out ok!

In MOST cases two weeks can be fine.  But, unless you have a hydrometer, you really do not know which is why we throw in that third safety net week which is usually good for everything except a very high ABV beer which may even take longer.  It becomes more important if you are using glass bottles since if fermentation is not done they can easily become bottle bombs.  Not good.