Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mjk

Wicked Winter Warmer Recipe

I was thinking of trying this one, but I have some questions/concerns about this. 1) It says it is a hoppy recipe, I was wondering if anyone has tried this could clue me in as to just how hoppy this beer is, I myself, DO NOT like IPAs at all and if it similar in hoppiness, i may avoid it. If possible, what could I do to lessen the hoppiness in this beer? In the instructions, it says to put whiskey in the beer when bottling, but only lists the amount as 1oz for 740ml bottles. Would I cut it to 1/2 oz for 12 oz. bottles? 

thanks

mjk

Hi, First, for the amount of spirits, yes, just add in same proportion. Don't over do it or it will be too much alcohol and kill the yeast and you will not carbonate. The alternative would be to add more malt to get higher alcohol and skip the spirits. If you do add another malt pack (and skip the spirits), it will decrease the hoppy taste a bit too.

Second on hoppiness, look for similar recipes and look at the Flavor Profile Tab. You can compare the recipes easily with the amount of hoppiness and figure out one with less.

I have not made the Winter Warmer, but I have made the Spiced Christmas Ale which uses the same Hopped Malt and same Robust Liquid malt and some hop in addition. The Christmas ale is a bit hoppy but I would not say it is IPA hoppy. If it was me - since I do not mind hops too much, I would make it and try it, If it is too hoppy, let it sit for a couple months - although that may be a problem for Christmas 2014. I Do still have some from last year that is still maturing and it gets less hoppy in time. You can try 1 every month to see if you want.

Another alternative - you could make the same kind of recipe but use a less hoppy Hopped malt can. For example use the Bewitched Amber Ale instead of the Dark Winter Ale, That is less hoppy and has a good malty taste. Check out the "Heavy McWee" recipe.It will be a wee bit lighter color, but you can use the same recipe process with spirits.

You could even make the Heavy using 2 Robust packs. You can always add the whisky AFTER you pour it anyway :-) if you need it - with 2 robust packs it will probably be around 7-8% already.

With 2 Robust packs, and the craft can there will be a LOT of bubbling so put the keg in a leakproof container in case it bubbles over. I use plastic containers with no top. You can see them in the August Brewer of the month pic.

Hope this helps!

As  it is and strictly speaking of IBU range. Yes it is well into the IPA range of 40+, but this does not really account for the bill. I don't think you'll perceive this to be as hoppy as an IPA..

Nickfixit I had not seen that recipe...looks tasty! I brewed a AG recipe called Winter Time with an ABV of 7.5 I hope will be ready for Christmas. I used cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. smelled and tasted kind of like ginger bread at bottling. going to be interesting to see what it tastes like after it's aged 8 weeks. You got to love this hobby and it all started with a MrB kit for Christmas in 2012.

So in the instructions, it specifically lists whiskey, does that mean that if I were to substitute, bourbon, or even rum that it would ruin the beer or would it just give it different flavors or ABV?

It will only differ in abv if the liquors differed.  Personally (disclaimer:  I have not made this), I would try bourbon as I have had some beers aged in bourbon barrels and thought they were awesome.  Ironically, most were also higher in abv.  If you want to see how it will taste, go out and get a 6-pack of something similar and add different boozes to see what you like.  And as mentioned, dont go nuts as it will kill the yeast.  You can always add more after the fact.

You can use any type of whisky you like Bourbon, Irish, Canadian, Rye, even Scotch if that's your preference. Bourbon is what we were aiming for, but didn't want to discourage using any of the others. Fireball might be pushing it, though. ;)

And yes less for other bottles sizes or depth of flavor preference is acceptable. I concur with Nickfixit about being judicious with the amount in favor of keeping the yeast alive.

Bourbon is what we were aiming for, but didn't want to discourage using any of the others. Fireball might be pushing it, though. ;)

So are you telling me my Fireball Spearmint Red Ale on deck is not a good idea ?? :P

So are you telling me my Fireball Spearmint Red Ale on deck is not a good idea ?? :P

Might be a serious contender for this seasons Best Worst Beer Award.   Brilliant!

--> Josh B. It has to be made and tasted first though. Blind tasting might be good with real beer judges :-)

--> Josh B. It has to be made and tasted first though. Blind tasting might be good with real beer judges :-)

I'll make it if you taste it... ;g