Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nickfixit

How do I get that pale yellow of European beers?

There are a lot of European lagers and pilsners that are a lovely pale yellow.

I do not seem to be able to brew any that color. Mine all turn out more amber.

Any ideas please? (even using Mr B Pilsner HME and Briess Pilsner light DME).

Very fresh LME or HME.  (Hard to do with HME)  No boil on the LME, just add right at flame out as with most Mr. Beer kits.

16136poster.jpg

I understand your desire.  Me, I brew for taste, specifically mine.  I don't care what it looks like, I don't try to match any style.  I also happen to like malty beers which are all brown or black.  I usually can match those...   :lol:

You cant with any extract.  You need to do all grain where you can better control for that.  It is just the nature of extract.  There is no effect to taste, just color.  Also, keep in mind that many of the very clear, yellow European beers are also lagers which are much clearer.  Lagers must use a lager yeast in relatively cold conditions and fermented for extended times, hence the reason the majority of crafts are ales as the brewery isnt tying up their equipment for extended periods of time (cold things move slowly).  Cold crashing however can help you get more of the trub to settle down but it wont help with the colour.

• Like 1

Well........ I do have a pair of those yellow glasses - lol but no joy.

I guess the HME is boiled longer and is order so darker. Well no mind, I was just curious.

I like ales too and am making malty and/or hoppy so I am good.

Friends like them too so that helps.

Extract kits might call for 1/2 of the LME/DME at the 60 minute mark with the other 1/2 at 30 minutes. Or the DME at 60 minutes and the LME at 30 or some other combination to try and achieve a lighter colored ale.

Extract kits might call for 1/2 of the LME/DME at the 60 minute mark with the other 1/2 at 30 minutes. Or the DME at 60 minutes and the LME at 30 or some other combination to try and achieve a lighter colored ale.

You do have to watch when doing this as it could alter the hops efficiency.  As I do not care as much about color as I do taste, I will always do a full boil when working from scratch, especially with a hoppy beer.

OK generally I am not that ambitions and using the Mr Beer HME/LME/DME (or even other DMEs), do not boil much at all, so there will be no darkening from that. If making from scratch, you may get that I suppose.

I use to brew my own extract recipes and tried that whole only add half at the start thing. While it made the brew noticeably less dark they were still darker than the style profiles. ie my wheat ale would look like a brown English ale. Further the manager at my LHBS brews extract and only boils for a half an hour and his are way dark.  Like Da Yooper said color don't matter, taste does