Mr.Beer Community
Nickfixit

Craft Brewery Collaboration Recipes - Dewpoint Dunkel

I got this kit today and I am looking forward to making it. It has Chocolate Malt and Oats and gets a 10 min hop boil. Partial grain I guess. I will look forward to postings of how it turns out.

Has anyone made the AstroNut™ Brown Ale from Rocket Republic Brewery? Any comments on that? (new thread?) I did not get that one.

I bottled the AstroNut two weeks ago; plan on conditioning this for another 4 to 6 weeks before trying.  The Dewpoint interests me too, just might have to pick that one up.

Good, I am looking forward to see how these compare to the regular Mr B recipes. I am saving all the recipes though even if I don't buy them in case I want to make them or something similar (because I wont get quite the same grain mix) later .

I note they both use the Oktoberfest HME, use chocolate grain and do a 10 min hop boil and then dry hopping, although the other malt combo and yeasts are different. It gives me some ideas for other recipes based on the process.

We are really excited about our upcoming Collaboration recipes as well. Our January collab will be Sugar on Top IPA, a brewery favorite, from 903 Brewers in Sherman, TX. 

• Like 2

Sarah, Nice! thanks for the heads up. It is going to be tough not to keep buying these :-) although I do have a good backlog of kits to make.

With the extra malt & hops etc, I am thinking it will brew better in the 8LX rather than LBK.

11/29 I started the Dunkel today - in the 8LX

12/1 update, 1 inch of foam and a nice sulphur smell - so I think it is on its way......

12/16 bottled it, fermented wort tasted good.

In my opinion a fermenter is a fermenter.  You can brew good beer in a clean, sanitized, and sealed toilet with an airlock if you tried.  For the most part you are looking at the ease of doing some things.  The 8LX is easier to clean as everything is open.  The LBK with its low profile is great for using a dorm fridge to control temperatures during fermentation or putting in a fridge for cold crashing.  The toilet, however, is quite heavy to move around and does not lend itself to putting in a dorm or even full size fridge.  But, sitting side by side on a shelf together they should all make the same tasty beer.

In my opinion a fermenter is a fermenter.  You can brew good beer in a clean, sanitized, and sealed toilet with an airlock if you tried.  For the most part you are looking at the ease of doing some things.  The 8LX is easier to clean as everything is open.  The LBK with its low profile is great for using a dorm fridge to control temperatures during fermentation or putting in a fridge for cold crashing.  The toilet, however, is quite heavy to move around and does not lend itself to putting in a dorm or even full size fridge.  But, sitting side by side on a shelf together they should all make the same tasty beer.

This is crap!    :lol:

I don't see how you can put a toilet on a shelf easily.  And, if you put the beer in the tank to ferment then no one can flush it for 21 days!  Are you crazy?   :o

The LBK is also great for a freezer with fixed shelves being used as a fermentation chamber.  I can fit 7 LBKs, but nothing taller.  I wish I had 7 LBKs...  (GIFT IDEAS)

• Like 1

You think that is a problem - try putting the toilet in the fridge!

Seriously, I used the 8LX as it has more headroom and I expected a lot of activity and wanted no overflow. To be honest though I have had little if any overflow in LBK when filled to 8.5 L.

Ok, I will ship a standard refill for the first person to show me a selfie with a toilet on a shelf behind them.  NOT AT THE HARDWARE STORE EITHER :P

• Like 1

Ok, I will ship a standard refill for the first person to show me a selfie with a toilet on a shelf behind them.  NOT AT THE HARDWARE STORE EITHER :P

Dagnabit, I just pitched one Tuesday night for garbage day, although I never thought to ferment in it (it was used).  Teach me to listen to the wife and throw out "useless things."  I knew I was keeping it for a reason.

• Like 2

After 10 days in bottle I was curious to see how the Dew Point Dunkel was doing. I know it is too early really but...

So - in PET 750 ml bottles all were equally badly carbonated - so this was not just a leaky bottle. Carbonation was really low. Got some but not much.

Poured some, light bubbles, no foam or head or even bubble foam retention or lacing. Bubbles came up and dissipated like soda. Some carbonation if you swish beer in your mouth.

I have had this issue with other beers too, may be dishwasher detergent or no spot additive or fermenter cleaner soap I suppose, although I do rinse fermenter and bottles VERY well and also sanitize. I only use water and sanitizer on bottles.

Taste is very smooth and nice sweetish and chocolaty. I moved the remaining bottles into 75 deg air to encourage carbonation.

I will also shake them to get the yeast mixed up again.

Will try again in another 2-3 weeks once bottles show better carbonation.

Suggestions comments welcome.

And what does that do? How is it impacted?

Surely all commercial beers even those with residual live yeast get shaken and aerated in transport?

Should I open them and add more priming?

Off flavor.

Commercial beers don't carbonate in the bottle.

Likely you put too little sugar in or the bottles were too cool. Ten days is not enough time. If you opened all of them, you have no great options. Adding sugar will result in them foaming over.

Thanks Rick.

I understand to leave them more - but I am still enjoying the flat Dunkel beer I poured. Must be my UK upbringing - lol - flat beer is big over there.

I only opened one. I tested the others by comparative hardness of PET bottle squeeze. So I can tell they are all about same pressure.

They were on the floor of basement, air about 68 deg, self-stick tile on cement over dirt. So were fairly cool. Other beers in same area have carbonated well in > 1 week.

I used 4 cubes sugar in the 1 L and 2 cubes in the 750 ml bottles. 1 cube = 1/2 tsp. I think by MrB standards I should have used 5 and 3, but I had been getting over carbonation so I cut back a bit.

Some more partial extracts would be great, I moved on to using brewers best kits because of the steeping grains and hop additions. It would be nice to see mrbeer do more of these.

I am looking forwarding to brewing a batch of Sugar on Top IPA and then picking up a bottle to compare.

Any idea when it will be available to order?

Nothing more, other than the stated "January". So I am guessing not too long. You have to check with Sarah. I think you can message her on the forum.

I am looking forwarding to brewing a batch of Sugar on Top IPA and then picking up a bottle to compare.

Any idea when it will be available to order?

Sorry for the delayed response! It is scheduled to be for sale in the third week of January. If you are signed up to receive emails and get our monthly newsletter, we will notify everyone of it going on sale in there. If not, than keep an eye on the website the week of the 19th - 23rd  :)

• Like 1

Alrighty! I am still impatient. It has been 3 weeks in the bottle for the Dewpoint Dunkel.

I cracked one today - Delightful.

Good but not overpowering carbonation, Head retention is good, nice smooth mouth feel, complex yet not overpowering flavor.

Good hop/malt balance for me.

I am going to make another batch.

The only additional ingredients I need are the grains, which I can get locally. From looking at the pack I got, probably about 1 - 1.25 cups total grain.

From looking at it, the oats were not terribly obvious in the mix so I would guess 25% oats and 75% Choc malt would do it.

I am guessing 4 oz of the Choc and 1-2 oz oats.

I will give it a shot with this & see unless there are other suggestions on ingredients.

• Like 1

Many of the recipes I make use 3 oz of Chocolate Malt in a 5 gallon recipe.

• Like 1

Hmm.

I was basing my estimate on the look of the volume of grain supplied in the kit. The recipe does already include the Oktoberfest HME, and a smooth and a robust LME. So there is some darkness in it already. The grain is not the only source, just to beef it up I think.

Still, looking at what Rick posted maybe I need less chocolate and more oats, maybe 2 oz of the choc and 2 oz of oats until I see what it does.

It also looks like Munich water needs high HCO so based on my water chemistry and Brewer's Friend calculator I would need to add about 1 tsp sodium bicarb to the water too.

We at Sentinel Peak want to thank Mr. Beer and those of you out there who are brewing Dewpoint Dunkel! This beer is very special to me and I hope that you have great success brewing and enjoying it. I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing from more of you about the brewing (and, of course, drinking) process.

If you have any questions for me specifically about Dewpoint Dunkel, let me know - - I will certainly do my best to answer them!

Cheers!

• Like 2

We carbonate the beer from 2-2.5 volumes. Because this is in the style of a Munich Dunkel, carbonation is slightly less than a Dunkelweizen which we carbonate from 2.5-3 volumes.

• Like 1

Using online home brewing priming charts, I see that after accounting for residual carbonation in the wort, I figure they would add about 5 to 5.6 g per liter (2 cubes).

That is less than half the Mr B recommended. I usually add 4-5 cubes per liter and it comes out quite well carbonated usually. I think I put 4 cubes per liter and 2 cubes per 750ml in the Dewpoint, and it so far is not as well carbed as I think it should be.

I understand that the professional brewing and home brewing may use different process for carbonation and since I am using in bottle fermentation for that it may not directly relate to what you do.

So I probably need to put in more next time. Oh well :-).

• Like 1

I just received My Sugar on Top IPA and look forward to making this tomorrow and I also am going to try to make the Astronut  Brown Ale nut trying to figure out how much oats and chocolate to use???? I asked Mr. Beer but they wouldn't divulge the combination. If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it.

I think any speculation was given earlier in the thread.  You are using chocolate malt, not chocolate as in candy, right?