Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lagerstout_87

Chocolate winter dark ale with nibs and blueberry american ale?

Making two batches and need some pointers on how do some stuff. On the chocolate winter dark ale which way would i add the nibs. Do i soak them in vodka for a few days then add them to the wort while boiling wort or after when pouring wort into keg? Or can i do the cloth sack and let them suspend in the keg for a few days? Next how would i go about the blueberries i know i need to puree them but can i cook them with the wort or just pour in keg with wort?

Also need to know how much to add nibs for 2 gallon batch and the same for blueberries, i got two small cans.

Unfamiliar with either recipe you're discussing, but a point you bring up I need to correct - you do NOT boil or cook the wort.  Boil water, turn off heat, dump can in.  Do NOT boil the wort, you will change the flavor profile.  

If you're using Oregon Fruit, it's already pasteurized.  Santize blender, puree them, and pour them in after ONE week of fermentation, and give it another two.  Some add a can at one week and another at two weeks, then wait the final third week.  Note that it's a lot of fruit, so it needs to condition in bottles closer to 6-8 weeks.

• Like 1

Add the fruit to the secondary. The primary fermentation is too active and will blow off the flavor. I do not know about the nibs I have never used chocolate.

Never used them.  Searching this forum, and/or Googling, should bring up the right ratio and process.

4 ozs of nibs in a LBK will give WDA a nice subtle flavor. Add to the keg after you have added the last water, be sure to use a hop sack, or they will clog the spigot at transfer or bottle time.

From experience, you will need to give this ale 3 months to develop it's true flavors. They WILL come together nicely, to produce a really nice beer. Try one at 8 weeks, 10 weeks,12 weeks, etc..... and see how the fruit, chocolate, and ale mature. You'll be very happy !

Personally I'd do 3-4oz and soak them overnight in vodka.  Or maybe bourbon, depending on the character you want.  Really, any hard liquor would do, so if you want to impart some flavors, you can choose whatever flavors you might like.  I think I'd definitely do that for sanitization purposes.  YMMV

• Like 1

Thank you dfwddr and swenocha for clea ring up some confusion I've had about doing this. Will let yall know how it turns out. Thank you again.