Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PunkyBrewer

conditioning IPA

I just bottled an IPA,I heard that you shouldnt let them condition too long because you lose the hop flavor and aroma.I was wondering how long I should condition them without losing the hoppy goodness?

For a high abv ipa the rule of thumb should be thrown out the window.

Let it carb and give one a try.

If it's mainly bittering hop additions, the time wont matter as much.  Taste and aroma is what will fade over time.

Start by giving it the standard 4 weeks and crack one open.  Then every week after that to see where it goes.  Each beer will have its own sweet spot as will each person.

I've always wondered about that whole aroma thing myself.  The bottle is sealed so it shouldnt go any place.  I have to GUESS that it gets pushed back in more as flavor, so with a stronger flavor it gives even more of an impression that the aroma is gone.  I have yet to hear a real explanation for it other than it just gets old.

Regarding Jim's rule above, the 1.0X0 is the OG.

Start by giving it the standard 4 weeks and crack one open.  Then every week after that to see where it goes.  Each beer will have its own sweet spot as will each person.

I've always wondered about that whole aroma thing myself.  The bottle is sealed so it shouldnt go any place.  I have to GUESS that it gets pushed back in more as flavor, so with a stronger flavor it gives even more of an impression that the aroma is gone.  I have yet to hear a real explanation for it other than it just gets old.

Regarding Jim's rule above, the 1.0X0 is the OG.

Dag''s rule not mine, let's give credit where due. Your right I kept rewriting it until, I guess, I finally edited out the part where it said it was the OG. sorry

• Like 1

fwiw - I normally start drinking an IPA at 2-3 weeks.  When doing a flavoring hop and then a high-alpha dry hop of at least an ounce (in a 2.5gal batch), the hop flavor/aroma will help mask any ‘green’ flavors.  I enjoy the hop ‘freshness’ early in the conditioning stage and also see how the flavor develops over time.

While not an IPA, I’ve been doing the Bewitched Amber with 1lb DME and Citra additions (boil 1/3oz for 15 minutes and dry hop 2/3oz) as one of my go-to brews.  At 2 weeks the hops are very citrus forward and then after 4-6 weeks I get more tropical fruit notes from them.

Over time the essential oils will break down.  Much of that is due to oxidation, so the less o2 you get at bottling the longer it will last.