Mr.Beer Community
RogueChip

Adding molasses?

Hello all,

Today I'm going to try something a little different and was wondering if the forum members had any input. I've got a 5-gallon carboy and am ging to make a double batch of the Winter Dark plus I'm going to add molasses to the wort. In the new updated instructions, it is suggested that one should start out with adding 1/4 cup to the batch. Since this is a double size, I'm going to add 1/2 cup to the wort. I'm doing this to enhance the flavor and to boost the ABV.

Any comments, suggestions?

I don't know what recipe you're finding that includes molasses, all 5 Winter Dark recipes don't have it that I see.

When you add something to wort, you need to understand what might be left after the sugar ferments out.  After the sugar ferments out of molasses, it leaves dark burnt carmel / sulfur flavor.  If that's the flavor you want, then that's what you will get.  People add it with 5 minutes left in a boil (i.e. LME boil, don't boil the Winter Dark), if it's by itself you would boil it in the water for 5 minutes.  You want to measure it by weight, not volume.  No more than a pound in 5 gallons I would suggest, and that's probably around 1.3 cups.

Do some Googling around and see if you really want to add molasses.  Winter Dark is a very nice beer by itself, make sure you only make 4.26 gallons unless you add LME.  Also, it ferments very actively.

The WDA is excellent as a stand alone. Yesterday I had a bottle of my latest batch of WDA, and I added nothing to it. Molasses, and the flavors left after fermentation I do not care for in any beer style. The WDA has enough "spice" to make a good holiday ale, without additions. Why not split your 5 gallon batch into two, and add molasses to just one? It will give you a good comparison or start point to adjust future batches.

If your wanting to experiment I would suggest you choose a HME you've already made. Brew it straight before making changes, or you won't know what the changes did for the brew.

Thanks everyone,

I brewed up a double batch without any additions or adjuncts. I have made the Winter Dark a few times before and really like it, so as you all are saying here - why mess with a good thing?

Cheers.

Beer is good. Beers are better.

There is absolutely no problem with experimenting.  The nice thing about the LBKs is you can split batches.  You may find you like it.  You may find you don't.  Or, you may find you don't like it in that particular beer but may like it in something else.  Unless you really go mad scientist almost any mistake you make will be drinkable.  I've used both molasses and brown sugar in brews (off hand I don't remember which ones) and in some cases I really liked it, and in some cases it was more "meh."

There used to be a recipe called Midlands Mild that used the Bewitched Red + 1/4 cup molasses. Turned out real nice, made it twice.