Mr.Beer Community
sdrake

Banana Beer?

I've purchased a Banana Bread beer that I like.  I'm wondering if this would work...  I have a Mexican Cerveza mix.  When I make it, would it work just to add some pureed banana to the LBK when I start the batch?  Or am I asking for a messed up batch of beer?  I'm concerned that the pureed bananas rot in the beer.

You're either going to get trouble or you're not going to get any banana flavor.  You'd want to pasteurize the bananas first, and that kills most of the flavor.    

Many yeasts, fermented at the right temperature, create banana flavors.  Wyeast 3068 for example.  Liquid yeast, so you need to learn how to use that.

I only use dry yeast.  I've read that Munich will do that also.  

• Like 2

For those prominent banana esters you want a wheat as a base, so I would use the Bavarian Weissbier, While the Cerveza can lend some subtle banana/clove flavors it's the wheat that really brings them out. The good news is that the Bavarian Weissbier comes with a true wheat yeast so you don't have to acquire one! Bananas do not ferment and should not be used in beer, as Rick said it's the yeast (and the wheat). 

• Like 1

I think I did a wheat with wlp500  yeast and fermented in the hotter range... and got bananas. I recall calling it monkey pee ale.

• Like 1

So what you're telling me is that the Banana Bread Beer that I bought at the local BevMo wasn't made with bananas and instead was made by manufacturing banana esters during the fermentation?  My question was asked in the context of making cherry wheat in which a can of cherries is added to the LBK.  Thanks.

You're asking a question to which you already have the answer. Is this beer brewed with bananas? Yes. Says so right on the label.

Second question - are the bananas that it is brewed with responsible for the banana bread taste and aroma? Not likely. A quick Googling of the beer shows they use "fair trade" bananas (marketing gimmick) and that it's poorly reviewed in general. Google "Well's banana bread clone" and you'll find that people are getting the banana flavors from yeast - not bananas. One example - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/banana-bread-ale-90074

Link fixed

For some reason when I click on the link, all I get is; 404 not found.  Was this the one posted by DeathBrewer?

brianjmag, on 02 Jan 2015 - 5:14 PM, said:

Have you thought of using banana extract?

:lol: that takes all the fun out of it. :lol:

I tried that banana bread beer. It was at one of my larger local liquor stores... though i love the buzz from the 5+% abv the taste is... ehh. I love the aroma and sometimes i get a caramel hint in the back end. But in the front its dry and peppery. Not my kind of beer.. but ill not waste it lol. Its 8.50 for a 4 pack in illinois. That aroma is nice though and i think you can probably get that from steeping the right grains and extracts maybe. Id try it with a fuller body and a darker beer though, it is a nice amber color. Not a lot of head or lace though. Kinda thin.

Yes it says that. Its a gimmick of course. And to tell you the truth it tastes nothing like bananas its just the aroma. Not worth buying at all.

A lot of fruit taste can come from yeast and hops. I make an American Wheat you can taste the mangos in but has no fruit. I used Falconer's Flight hops to get the mango.

Bananas, red millet, and quinine bark...

:)

Thanks for posting that.  I had totally forgotten that I had the opportunity to try that banana beer concoction in Tanzania.  I don't remember whether I tried it.  It looked quite nasty,  Look at the bottom of Page 20 (January 27, 2006) of my journal in Tanzania for pictures.

http://www.stephendrake.com/jtanzania2006.html

Many yeasts, fermented at the right temperature, create banana flavors.  Wyeast 3068 for example.  Liquid yeast, so you need to learn how to use that.

^^^^^^Yes! I've used that yeast in a hefeweizen and got excellent results with a very simple recipe. I used the Wyeast smack pack for a 5 gallon batch, and no starter was required. You certainly won't need one for a 2 gallon batch either. I highly recommend trying this if you like that style. Pour it in a glass (yeast sediment too), drop a slice of lemon it it...you'll never drink Blue Moon again :)

On 12/9/2014 at 8:20 PM, Jim Johnson said:

+1 to both, I've got good banana flavor from S-06 and fermenting @ 74f

What techniques would I use to make my wort warm during fermentation @ 74f to get banana flavor? I know some yeast kick up the temperature by 6-8 degree, which might then bring it up to 74f.

As you may have seen on the forum, people use frozen water bottles to lower the temperature of the wort in a cooler.  To warm the beer, they do the exact same thing - with HOT water bottles...

And, you have to use the right yeast as Jim noted back a year ago.  

All yeast kick up the temp during peak fermentation - some more than others, and some batches more or less than others.  

• Like 1

Be careful when playing with yeast temps. Munich can go bubblegum big time. I made a wheat once that tasted like Bazooka Joe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jsherman said:

Be careful when playing with yeast temps. Munich can go bubblegum big time. I made a wheat once that tasted like Bazooka Joe.

:huh:

On 1/7/2016 at 1:41 PM, RickBeer said:

As you may have seen on the forum, people use frozen water bottles to lower the temperature of the wort in a cooler.  To warm the beer, they do the exact same thing - with HOT water bottles...

And, you have to use the right yeast as Jim noted back a year ago.  

All yeast kick up the temp during peak fermentation - some more than others, and some batches more or less than others.  

I am about to bottle California Dreamin, however I used was the yeast from under the lid of the Bavarian Weissbier. And my question is: does the Weissbier come with a Wheat beer yeast? It tastes very similar to shock top. 

Yep, it's a wheat yeast. The weissbier yeast is the only one that is different from the other yeasts on our HMEs (other than the specialty yeasts sold with our Seasonals and recipes).

Nice, well I accidentally altered california dreamin' with the yeast change.. I like it though ? have to call it something else.