Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MRB-Rick

Boil can equal darker beer

I have heard it a few times about many of our brewers boiling the wort for some time.  The Coopers brewery works really hard to make our Mr. Beer malt match certain characteristics and one of them is color.  They have a proprietary water extraction process that uses minimal heat to minimize any color change.   By boiling, you will be making the final product a bit darker than what we wanted the final product to be and muting the hop flavor some and killing the aroma completely (well almost.) 

In our basic refill instructions, we simply state to boil water first, then add the brewing extract.  This will allow full dissolve of the malt solids that are contained in the brewing extract. 

With that said, many of our advanced brewers may CHOOSE to boil and that is what Mr. Beer is about.  Choice.  For new brewers that may not know about all things brewing, I just wanted to throw that tidbit of information out there.  Ok, you advanced brew guys, fill in all the great details!

• Like 1

I am not sure many (if any) boil the HMEs since as you stated all it does is kill the aroma and possibly flavor and potentially pushing up the bitterness.  When we do boils, we will boil the hops with the LME/DME at around 1.030-1.040 to get the additional profile we may be looking for (ie in my case a hop bomb), THEN add the HME at flame out.  IMHO if one was going to boil the HME, it should be no more than 5 minutes and assuming that either you dont care about aroma or you will be using that to do a 5 minute aroma addition while pushing out some of the flavor if that is what you are looking for.

why bother buying a mr beer HME if youre going to boil the darn thing?!   boiling hopped extract drives off hoppy goodness and carmelizes the malt..changing the profile. like  yooper mentioned,  we do hop boils with LME or DME which augments the hme.  example, the diablo IPA on its own while good, is lacking a little bitter and a little aroma/flavor.  by adding a pack of lme boiled with additional hops a good refill becomes a GREAT beer.

I'm going to ask the dumb question.  I always boil the water before I add the HME.  When the water is boiling, I take the pot off the heat then add the HME.  So am I doing something wrong and is that still qualifying as boiling my beer?  I don't have it to a boil after adding in the HME, but it is at a boil just prior to adding the HME.  Or should I let the water cool down a few minutes before adding the HME?

yeah... what we're talking about is ppl who open a can of hme, dump  it into water and bring THAT to a boil which is BAD.  youre golden. 

Also, the time that the HME spends at near-boiling temperatures is minimal since you are only mixing it up before you dump it in the cool water in the LBK.  It is a minimal time for any bitterness changes, and since you are not boiling you are not blowing off any aromas.