Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kdjc

LBK leaking

So not happy right now. The last time I had a batch in my LBK I lost half a batch of beer leaking from what I thought was a split in seam under spigot. Talked to someone in customer service. They told me I was wrong kegs are all on peice. they told me to change spigot after I transfered what was left of the batch. I had a new spigot that came with my bottling wand. I put on and have just been using my other 2 kegs. Today was a big brew day. I brewed the first two batches the  diablo ipa and bewitched amber ale. Then mixed up hard pear cider. That one leaked all over table and floor from under the spigot. I knoe that it is not overtight or to loose.Had nothing to put it in to ferment so it leaked into sink. I am so beyond pissed off it is not even funny. Thank you MR BEER for letting me watch money flow down the drain. I love everything that they make just mad a quality of LBK.

Not seamed? Really? Mine are. I have not had this problem(knock wood) but, I recall some folks on the old MrB forum had to trim the inside of that none existent seam to get a good seal. Hope this helps

I had a leak with the newer spigots. MB replaced it and replaced the can of HME, it was a craft series. Basically I over tightened, which was easy to do. Since then, I am very cautious about over tightening. The leak was in the threaded portion of the spigot. 

kdjc -  sorry to hear about that.  :(  That really does suck.  I have not had any probelms with my LBK's but one of the reasons why I switched to the new 8LX is to see if it was thicker and overall better than the LBK.  Which it is. 

So one of your LBKs leaked.  You transferred the wort to another LBK. 

Some days/weeks later, you went to brew a cider in that LBK and it leaked.  Did you not test the LBK with water, as the directions specify, prior to loading the cider in it?  After the leak, did you not try to figure out exactly what was happening?  

There are several reasons for leaks. 

1) As mentioned, sometimes the seam is rough on the outside, and the rubber washer doesn't proper seal.  People have gently sanded it and found that worked.

2) Another reason for leaks was also mentioned.  People over tighten the spigot, which creates stress on the threads, and the spigot breaks off the outside of the LBK, sometimes days/weeks later.  Proper tightening of the spigot is required.  You tighten gently, then turn it 90 degrees more.  

3) Last reason for leaks is improper washer location/position.  Washer goes on the OUTSIDE of the LBK, with the narrower end against the LBK, and the flat end against the spigot.

Always put your LBKs in a tub if possible, or on a cookie sheet if not.  Carefully tighten.  And, if you have a problem, contact Mr. Beer Customer Service - they stand behind their product.

kdjc,

Please do contact Mr.Beer Customer Service again and we will attempt to resolve your issue.

You may reach us at CustomerService@mrbeer.com or at 800-852-4263.

The LBK is in fact one piece and does not have a seam.  What many refer to as the seam is just an artifact of the mold we use.  The 2 halves of the mold fit together very well, but where they meet does allow the formation of what you might be considering a seam.

Regardless, if it is determined that any of our products have a manufacturing defect, then we will take necessary action to resolve the issue.

So not happy right now. The last time I had a batch in my LBK I lost half a batch of beer leaking from what I thought was a split in seam under spigot. Talked to someone in customer service. They told me I was wrong kegs are all on peice. they told me to change spigot after I transfered what was left of the batch. I had a new spigot that came with my bottling wand. I put on and have just been using my other 2 kegs. Today was a big brew day. I brewed the first two batches the  diablo ipa and bewitched amber ale. Then mixed up hard pear cider. That one leaked all over table and floor from under the spigot. I knoe that it is not overtight or to loose.Had nothing to put it in to ferment so it leaked into sink. I am so beyond pissed off it is not even funny. Thank you MR BEER for letting me watch money flow down the drain. I love everything that they make just mad a quality of LBK.

One possibility is you put the rubber washer in the wrong place when you screwed your spigot into your LBK.  When I got a new LBK last October, I found that it was leaking at the spigot.  Only when I looked at my other LBK did I notice I had the rubber washer in the wrong place.  I put the washer in the right place and it's not leaked.

the keg that is leaking has has many many kits through it. only on the one a few months ago did it start leaking. so it isnt something that needs sanded off. I contacted mr beer about this the customer service to transfer and replace spigot did that checked no leak and put on shelf. used my other two kegs first last night. got everything ready and put in keg no leak temp was alittle warm so let it sit til temp came down to pitch yeast. I then pitched yeast, cleaned up some things and went to put keg on shelf  table was wet bottom of keg was wet. didnt touch spigot bump spigot. Wasted money.

Don't know what to tell you.  Mr. Beer offered to have you call and work with them.  Nothing the forum can do for you but provide advice.

kdjc 

Just as JoshB said, if you reach back out to customer service, we are more than happy to try and help you resolve the issue. We obviously do not want you to have a leaky keg, or to feel as if you have wasted money. 

Customer Service can be contacted between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm MST at 800-852-4263 or by emailing customerservice@mrbeer.com. If you would like to reach out to me directly to help you resolve this issue, feel free. My email is sarahs@mrbeer.com. 

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Mr. Beer customer service has been second to none.  Back in the days of the bad batch of spigots I had a seasonal dump on me that I also doctored with hops and DME I had on hand.  Not only did they replace the seasonal and spigot, but also the hops and DME I used to make their recipe.

You mentioned you have multiple kegs.  Did you try switching the spigots to see if that corrected the problem - causing the leaky keg to not leak and the non-leaking one to now leak?  You also mentioned having many batches go through that keg.  What is the condition of the washer?  Over time, like any washer, it may harden although I have not experienced that problem.

Allot of people will agree that things will happen and sometimes things just don't work or brake or its a bad batch of whatever.  But of all the company's out there just trying to make a buck and not caring of the consumer the customer service of Mr. Beer is nothing like any other company.  Are some things a bit more expensive than other places you could get stuff.. Sure.  but the quailty of the product and the concern for the people that buy it is fantastic. (this is my experience with them) That's why I keep buying from them.  So dont worry kdjc.  I know its frustrating but work it out with them.

• Like 1

problem has been fixed new keg and pear cider on the way, will send old keg back to MR.BEER to see if they can figure out what is wrong. Very pleased with customer service. I love the product and will continue to buy. Would have whatever happened 

Yup, great customer service.  And good job with sending the keg back so they can check it out and not just chucking it in the garbage.

i bought a second LBK from a wholesaler that was actually brand new it was the older model with the push button spout. it leaked.   I ordered the new style spout and i haven't had any problems with it.  

Chad, where did it leak? (I'm guessing from the gasket.) I have an old LBK with the old style spout, and a current one with the twist style spout. Both leaked a little on assembly from the gasket. I shaved the mold marks off of both and that took care of the leaks.

On the subject of the old style spout, how long do they last before they don't seal and leak from the actual spout? I have a spare new spout just in case.