Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lagerstout_87

forgot to mix wort in lbk and pitched yeast!!!!!!!!!

Stupid me forgot to mix wort up before pitching yeast. So when I rememberd that I forgot I panic and shook the keg a little to mix up the yeast went to the bottom. There is no more yeast on top. Am I still in the clear or am I screwed. Plz help.

The yeast will find that sugar.  So, no real problems.

(insufficient aeration, proper temp for pitching, stressed yeast, etc. could cause off flavors, but you will get beer)

Pouring the wort into a gallon of water mixes it fine. Adding more water also. What didn't get done as noted is aeration. The yeast does not need to be mixed in, but the wort should be aerated. It will likely be fine.

As others have said, the biggest problem is lack of aeration.  Oxygen is needed for the yeast to multiply and hit critical mass before tacking the job of making alcohol.  When boiling water, you lose all the oxygen that was previously absorbed.  But, with MrB, you are using a huge chunk of cold water as well which will still have some oxygen which is not the case when doing full boils for 60 minutes.  Although not ideal, all should be good.  MrB kits are very forgiving as long as you keep the temperature while fermenting below the yeast's maximum.

Thank you all for info. The brew is bubbling up and is active so all is well.

actually bubbling and foamy stuff on top is a clear sign that the beer is totally ruined. it's an infection called...ah.. er... acute sudsykrausenitis caused by the dreaded um... Foamuppus Muchitus bacteria.  it is highly dangerous to disturb it until after week number three has completed and then the only ... ONLY... solution is to bottle the beer and ship it to me where I will dispose of it, and return your bottles properly decontaminated. ya see only I have the cure for the Foamuppus Muchitus bacteria.