Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nickwolfe

bitter beer

hey all,

did my first beer and waiting the six weeks to try it. it was a little bitter.

so couple questions with the next batch...

1) as this batch sits longer will it become less bitter?

2) 750 ml bottle, should I have used more sugar in it?

it was the American lager that came with the kit.

any help would be awesome as I am buying a mix for my honey bun for Christmas.

nick

Which did  you brew?  And what do you mean by bitter?  What does it taste like?  

What do you mean by 6 weeks?  How long did it ferment?  What temp did it ferment at?  How long was it in bottles?  What temp were the bottles stored at?

2) If you're asking if you put more sugar in, would it be less bitter, the answer is no.  Sugar in the bottle affects how carbonated it gets, that's all.  

I brewed the American light classic that came with the mr beer kit.

it tastes a little bitter in compared to regular light beer, although good, just different.

the recipe said put in the mr beer keg for 2 weeks but I lift for 3 weeks as discussed here. I think bottled and let sit for 3 weeks at room temp, anywhere from 68 to 74. we don't let the apartment get cold or too warm.

I then put in the fridge for a week. I guess it is just the different taste maybe. I think I might get the check pil next. we only have 4 choices at our store.

I guess the question I have, will the beer get better the longer it sits?

any input is awesome.

nick

I'd suggest removing the bottles from the frig and letting them sit a total of at least 4 weeks at room temp.  If you want to drink some, leave those in and remove the rest, only refrigerating what you're going to drink 3 days later.

The flavors will meld over time.  Will it be less "bitter"?  Hard to say.  

Some of the Mr. Beer refills are lighter in nature, others are maltier and darker.  I happen to like malty, so I liked Oktoberfest as well as Winter Dark (Craft Series) and Bewitched Amber Ale (Craft Series).  I even added a pound more malt to any base refill I made.

• Like 1

Flavors will blend over time, sometimes for the good and sometimes not so much.  Something like an IPA (which you probably do not like) should be drank young before the aromas get absorbed back into the beer and disappear.

What you made is probably one of the least bitter beers.  The Aztec and Lager are also pretty non-bitter.  I am guessing you are more of a Bud/Miller/Coors drinker?  Those for the most part are as un-bitter as you can get, and are also lagers as opposed to ales.  Even the MrB "lager" is in reality an ale unless you purchase and ferment with a lager yeast (requiring low temperature, extra time, and some extra steps).

If you do like a malty beer, one way you can bring the bitterness down is to get a LME/DME pack and add that to the refill.  You will get a somewhat maltier beer albeit with more alcohol.

ok, so I don't need to have the beer in the fridge for two weeks?

I guess I was hoping it was closer to light beers that I am used to. it was good and I put the last six in the fridge to let them sit in there for two weeks. I will take them out and just put them in a few days before drinking.

I actually can't wait to try a different one. I am going to look at the choices today and probably get one tomorrow for our Christmas present.

nick

could it be that when you opened the bottle some yeast got kicked up from the bottom into the beer? to me, yeast has a taste that can be perceived as slightly bitter.   actually to me more like beef bouillion , rusty nails and bitter but I'm weird.   slow careful pours leaving behind the bottom 1/4 inch in the bottle should help that.

• Like 2

could it be that when you opened the bottle some yeast got kicked up from the bottom into the beer? to me, yeast has a taste that can be perceived as slightly bitter.   actually to me more like beef bouillion , rusty nails and bitter but I'm weird.   slow careful pours leaving behind the bottom 1/4 inch in the bottle should help that.

Good point.  If you arent used to bottle carbonated beer, you need to be careful when you pour.  Pour slowly and watching the neck and when trub starts to hit it stop pouring.  You will always leave an "angel's cut" with bottle carbonated brews.

• Like 1

Good point.  If you arent used to bottle carbonated beer, you need to be careful when you pour.  Pour slowly and watching the neck and when trub starts to hit it stop pouring.  You will always leave an "angel's cut" with bottle carbonated brews.

bah.. angel's cut.  poo on them! I drink it.let them get their own damn beer!  well, at least if it is a hefeweizen I drink it.   drinking bottle trub is an acquired taste and can lead to some rather nasty tummy cramps and the trots. 

• Like 1

I think, after reading more that I will let my beer sit a little while longer. I tried it right on the 6 week mark, so I will let it sit another 2 weeks. going to try a different beer after Christmas. haven't figured out what to buy yet.

thanks for the advice guys/gals.

nick