Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

Cherry Wheat

I've ordered more refills and should be getting them by the end of the week.  The first one I plan on starting is the Cherry Wheat.

In looking through this forum for others' experiences, I have noticed the following:

• Some have suggested adding the cherries after 2 weeks rather than after 1 week to retain more of a cherry flavor
  • RickBeer says it's the worst recipe he's made and comes out cidery.  But his comments like this were early 2013 and someone commented that Mr. Beer would be reformulating the recipe.

Has anyone made the Cherry Wheat recipe recently?  What was your experience?  My thought is that the other forum posts in early 2013 are before Coopers came in and redid the HME.  I'm guessing the current refill has been updated since these earlier forum comments.

Coopers bought Mr. Beer in 2012 and changed over in the Fall. I brewed the NEW refill, but it included booster whereas it now has a packet of LME. I bought it hoping it was like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and it was not nor will this be, but it should be better.

After making many fruit batches I have learned that raspberries come through the best and extract flavors work better than fruit.

Are you also going to use a flavor extract @ bottling, or just the cherries?

I'll make it with whatever they send with the purchased Cherry Wheat recipe.  I think it comes with a can of cherries in syrup.

I ask because while I've never used cherries I have used blackberries both with and without flavor extract and extract w/out berries.  What I have noticed is the flavor extract with the berries was much better than either blackberries, or flavor extract alone(blackberries alone had very little flavor). Now having said that for flavor, with out extract, I'd add the cherries the last week. If you have a hydrometer.

I agree w/Rick about the Raspberries flavor coming through the best.  I did a Raspberry Blonde, Canadian Blonde + DME + Can of Oregon Raspberries pureed and the fruit did come through although the sweetness mostly fermented out.  What was left was a nice tartness from the raspberries.

I tried extracts once in a Cherry Wheat.  I thought there was too much of an ‘artificial’ flavor about it.  Kind of like a ‘diet soda’ artificial flavor.  Maybe they got better??

I cant remember what recipe I did a cherry wheat with, but it was okay.  As I mentioned on another thread, I have mostly switched to extracts since there is consistency and you can taste what the beer will be like at bottling and add more if it is not as pronounced.  When you find what you need, make note and just add that amount next time.  I am guessing pretty much any commercial fruit beer you drink is at least partially extract based so that it will taste the same batch in and batch out.

What's a good place to start with as far as drop count in an LBK batch?  Cherry wheat, strawberry blonde and just about any blueberry beer are some of my favorites.  I love the fruity taste, but I don't want to overdo it by using a whole bottle when 10 drops would suffice.  My LHBS has some bottles that are larger than ones I saw linked in another thread.

You need to read the bottles, they aren't all the same.  Usually they are in terms of 5 gallons, so you need to do the math.  Brewer's Best makes some that are 4 oz per 5 gallons.  LorAnn makes flavoring oils, they are 1 dram per 5 gallons.  A dram is .125 fluid ounces, so it is 32 times stronger than the Brewer's Best.  Splitting that small vial per bottle wouldn't be an exact science by any means, whereas the Brewer's Best would be much easier.  Or, do the entire batch using batch priming.

• Like 1

Thanks.  That makes sense.  I'll look a little closer when I head back to the store.  I want to grab some 4 liter wine jugs and start a batch of mead along with my first couple of batches of beer.  I have an extra LBK on the way.  Start my short and long pipelines!

My recipes/mixes arrived today.  In reading the instructions for the Cherry Wheat, it says to put the can of cherries in at the start when I mix up the wort and put in the LBK.  It doesn't say after 1 week or after 2 weeks like you people suggest.

I have 2 thoughts...

1. Adding the cherries after 1 week or 2 weeks requires opening the LBK and potentially contaminating the beer.

2. Why does it matter when the cherries are added?  The yeast will ferment the sugars in the cherries whether they're added at the start or midway through the fermentation process.

Because the longer it's in there the less you'll taste it. Primary fermentation will blow out all flavor.

• Like 1

Thanks.  And opening the LBK after 2 weeks won't spoil the batch?

It's not as easily infected as you'd think. I have made 4 blackberry wheats w/no infection. Just be sure you disinfect everything i.e. the container the cherries are in. I got some star san from my lhbs and use it in a spray bottle for things like that. Again if you don't have a hydrometer then add the fruit after 1 week to be sure it is done fermenting by bottling time...if you do have one disregard the last sentence.

I started the Cherry Wheat this morning and possibly broke my big toe in the process.  I'll add the cherries after 2 weeks.  I'll report back in 7 weeks about how it tastes.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times - do not brew with your feet, it creates off flavors.

• Like 1

Hi all. Rickbeer mentioned Lorann Oils. I'm curious to know when these are used. For context, I'm extract brewing using steeping grains, LME, and hops. Do you add the Lorann Oils during the boil? The primary? Secondary? Bottling bucket? I found one post that specifically mentioned using the oil during the last few minutes of the hop boil. The rest are silent about when they add the Lorann oil. I'd appreciate any feedback from people that have used this specific flavoring. Thank you.

After 2 weeks of conditioning, I opened up the last bottle I bottled of my Cherry Wheat. This is the bottle with the most crud because it was the last one I bottled. Everything Rick has said about the Mr. Beer Cherry Wheat recipe is true. The cherry taste doesn't come through. The cherries just add too much additional sugar and it loses its beer taste. Plus, it's pinkish. Real men don't drink pink beer.

I brewed a wheat not too long ago (its been in the bottle about 3 weeks) and added some cherry extract to a few bottles.  Haven't tried the cherry ones yet since the regulars are still cidery.  I was going to add 1/2 the bottle of the cherry extract at bottling time, but didn't want to have a whole batch that was undrinkable.

I'm pretty sure mine is 4 oz too.  Mine said to use the whole bottle for a 5gal recipe so I used half the bottle in a previous recipe of 2 or 2.5 gal.