Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
halftank75

Just bottled my first batach

Just bottled my first batch. It is Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner. Was wondering if it is common for the last few bottles to be cloudy and not clear like the others. Is it the trub and if it is can I do soming different to stopit from going into the bottles. thanks

There are a number of "stickies" (posts) at the top of this forum that you should read: http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/4-new-brewers-and-faqs/

The goal is to not get much, if any, trub in the bottles.  One way to accomplish that is to put 1 or 2 DVD/CD cases under the front of the LBK when it's fermenting and when you're bottling to keep the trub away from the nozzle.  When you do bottle, go slowly.  As you get to the end, you want to try to not disturb the trub as you get as much as you can out of the LBK.  A way to make this work better is to put the LBK, with the cases under the front, in the frig for 2 or 3 days after your 21 day fermentation to solidify the trub and also cause particles to fall out of suspension, resulting in a clearer beer (option step, most don't do it).

4 weeks in bottles at room temp, then refrigerate only what you're going to drink in 3 days time.

Those bottles will be fine, just make sure when you pour to go SLOWLY and leave the last little bit in the bottle, as soon as you see the trub heading for the glass.

Everything Rick post is true, so try to digest it.

But, getting a bit of trub in the last couple of bottles is not anything to worry about.  You might even think those bottles taste great.

Once the bottles are chilled for 3 days, that extra trub won't matter.

• Like 1

When I bottle, I do so in 12 oz glass bottles.  For my last 2 bottles I mark the bottle cap with "X" for next to last and "XX" for last bottle.  This way, when I do refrigerate and drink the beer, I have a little forewarning that these 2 bottles may have a little bit of trub that will be settled to the bottom of the bottle.  Also, after 2 weeks into the carbonation/conditioning, I like to taste one of my bottles just to see how it's coming.  I pick my "XX" bottle for this.