Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rummy

brewing cider

when brewing cider the directions call for white sugar can i use any other kind brown ,organic cane sugar

I don't have experience with organic cane sugar but would guess it would be OK. I recommend staying away from brown sugar because that is often just table sugar with molasses for color. Molasses has a reputation for tasting like tar when it's fermented.

Follow the directicons, then modify future batches once you know wha to it is supposed to taste like.

And don't use brown sugar as mentioned.

I used brown sugar in a stout once... as mentioned it is nothing more than white sugar with molasses added. the yeast eat the sugar and leave behind the molasses and you end up with a strong black licorice taste that is not good.

I have read in several threads and posts that brown sugar is not recommended. But what if a recipe calls for it? I am not a licorice person, so I really don't want that flavor in my beer! I'm looking at the Voodoo recipe, and it has great reviews with enough conditioning. So does the brown sugar work with it for some reason? I see #1Hazelnut reviewed it and really liked it so I'll send her a PM and ask in case she doesn't see this, but I thought I would ask here since brown sugar was specifically discouraged.

they're talking about cider, in beer you don't get licorice...you get molasses. at least it's been my experience...so far.

Gotcha! That'll teach me to post a beer question in cider thread. As long as I don't do that in a whiskey thread. :-)

I used it in a stout and got black licorice. maybe that's how I perceive molasses? to me it taasted like incredibly strong Italian black licorice.  

I don't get licorice from molasses...thank goodness. To be fair, I've only used it 4 times in starting my 3rd year of brewing 2 weeks ago. One of those times was just as priming sugar. So far no licorice, (knock wood) could be I've just been lucky.