Mr.Beer Community
0PR71

Made a Dumb Mistake. What Should I expect?

Just got the basic LBK and made a dumb mistake and am now curious as to what to expect.  I got tap water to  JUST below boiling temperature and placed the can of American Light Classic in it to soften the HME before opening and adding to the 4 cups of boiling water.   In a separate I had the 4 cups of bottled water to the boiling point and had just turned it off.  After opening the can of HME I mistakenly poured it into the pot that I had heated to soften the HME.  As soon as I realized what I had did I immediately poured the HME mixed in the wrong pot into the pot with 4 cups of bottled water that had been heated to the boiling point and removed from the stove.  I did mix the entire HME + 4 cups of water + just below boiling water to soften the HME.  I then poured this all into the fermenter, added bottled water to the 8.5 liter level, added the yeast, mixed thoroughly, sealed the fermenter and finally placed it in the large thermos and felt like the perfect idiot.  I have no idea what to expect in two weeks.  Was this mistake critical? 

I FEEL LIKE THE IDIOT BECAUSE I WATCHED THE VIDEO 4 TIMES TO MAKE SURE MADE NO MISTAKES. I PROBABLY EVEN OTHER WISE OVER SANITIZED. PLEASE REPLY QUICKLY AS I ALREADY HAVE 3 MORE HMEs IN THE BREW AND I WANT TO LEARN FROM THIS DUMB MISTAKE, ASAP!

First, remove your email address from the post.

You added a near boiling mix to an empty plastic container? It is supposed to have cold water in it.

You pitched the yeast, assuming you remembered to, into much too hot wort. It may be OK, it may have killed the yeast. After about 24 hours, you will know if you don't see active fermentaton.

Where does it tell you to put the can in a pot of near boiling water?

Also, you want to ferment for 3 weeks, not 2. Then 4 weeks in bottles at room temp.

1)  He's right remove the address. this site is searchable. Your email in now readable for anyone on the internet. Instead invite us to PM you. Which is only available if your a member.

2)  He's right again, the worst thing is you probably killed the yeast. If after a day or so you don't see a layer of whitish stuff (trub) on the bottom of the LBK. Go to your LHBS and buy a pack of S-05 (if your in a bind, S-33 is a little cheaper) and dump the whole pack in the LBK.

3)  There is no need to boil the water to make a HME. I put the can, after removing the label, in hot tap water to soften. I only heat the water for mixing the HME to 165f)

in case you don't know:

LBK = Little Brown Keg

LHBS = Local Home Brew Store

Did you have a gallon of cold water in the LBK before pouring your mixture in, to absorb the thermal shock? If so, you might be ok, the hot water plus the boiling water *may* be enough to kill any bad bugs. But if you didn‘t have cold water in the LBK to cool it down before adding the yeast, well, the yeast is probably dead. And the LBK might be warped now.

The good news is if you wait 3 days you can look at the bottom of the LBK and if you see white gunk, the yeast is alive and doing its thing.

Next time I'd recommend you just heat the can of HME in a sink filled with hot water.

Thanx for the quick replies.  Fermentation is going on so at least I didn't kill all the yeast.  I just may have dodged a bullet.  Will know in 8 weeks.  Thanx again for the help.

• Like 1

Next batch, make sure to pitch the yeast in fairly cool wort.  It should be close to your fermenting temps.  68-72*.  Pitching too hot, 80-95* will not cause the yeast to die, they will love it, and go crazy reproducing in the hot tub, unfortunately they will also create a bunch of nasty tastes and smells that you really don't want in your beer.

I didn't add hot wort to an empty LBK.  Only error I made was to mix the HME into the wrong water.

4 cups of hot wort into 2 gal of chilled water will give you a pretty good pitching temp.  A full pot of hot wort into maybe ~1 gal of (what temp?) water will most likely give you well over 80* water.

What were saying is, extra water in the boil is not that big of a deal.  Pitching yeast in too hot a temp will defiantly give you some off flavors.  These may condition out over time, but it may take well over the recommended 4 weeks.

Hey, dont feel bad.  I do the same thing with my HMEs namely have them on the stove to warm up.  I always use the same kettle to brew with and a smaller one for the HMEs so have yet to get them mixed up.  We all make mistakes.  I recall someone adding the sanitizer solution to the wort thinking it was the chilled water, so it could have been worse.

• Like 1

mistakes happen. the good news is that it's really really hard to screw up beer. yeast are very forgiving unless you really really do bad things to them like boiling them.  the trick is to learn how to remain calm and find a solution.

• Like 2

Just got the basic LBK and made a dumb mistake and am now curious as to what to expect.  I got tap water to  JUST below boiling temperature and placed the can of American Light Classic in it to soften the HME before opening and adding to the 4 cups of boiling water.   In a separate I had the 4 cups of bottled water to the boiling point and had just turned it off.  After opening the can of HME I mistakenly poured it into the pot that I had heated to soften the HME.  As soon as I realized what I had did I immediately poured the HME mixed in the wrong pot into the pot with 4 cups of bottled water that had been heated to the boiling point and removed from the stove.  I did mix the entire HME + 4 cups of water + just below boiling water to soften the HME.  I then poured this all into the fermenter, added bottled water to the 8.5 liter level, added the yeast, mixed thoroughly, sealed the fermenter and finally placed it in the large thermos and felt like the perfect idiot.  I have no idea what to expect in two weeks.  Was this mistake critical? 

I FEEL LIKE THE IDIOT BECAUSE I WATCHED THE VIDEO 4 TIMES TO MAKE SURE MADE NO MISTAKES. I PROBABLY EVEN OTHER WISE OVER SANITIZED. PLEASE REPLY QUICKLY AS I ALREADY HAVE 3 MORE HMEs IN THE BREW AND I WANT TO LEARN FROM THIS DUMB MISTAKE, ASAP!

WELL THE TIME OF RECKONING IS HERE.  TOOK A LOOK AT THIS BATCH TODAY WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND IT AT LEAST LOOKS LIKE BEER. IT IS CLEAR AND THE PRIMARY FERMENTATION APPEARS TO HAVE CEASED.  THERE'S ABOUT A 2MM COVERING ACROSS THE SURFACE OF BUBBLES.

HAVEN'T TASTED IT YET.  THIS SATURDAY WILL BE 21 DAYS OF FERMENTATION IN  THE LBK AND IT IS NOW TIME TO BOTTLE.  PER UPS, MY MR. BEER SIPHON WAND SHOULD ARRIVE ON FRIDAY.  I GET TO SEE IF THE WATER MIX-UP DISCUSSED ABOVE WAS CRITICAL. :rolleyes:

I think you mean a bottling wand, not a siphon.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!  STILL GETTING USED TO THE CORRECT TERMINOLOGY.

that's ok.. we still know what you were referring to.  heck you could have called it that 'stick thing you put on the fermenter to get the stuff in the bottle' and we still would get you.

WELL THE TIME OF RECKONING IS HERE.  TOOK A LOOK AT THIS BATCH TODAY WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND IT AT LEAST LOOKS LIKE BEER. IT IS CLEAR AND THE PRIMARY FERMENTATION APPEARS TO HAVE CEASED.  THERE'S ABOUT A 2MM COVERING ACROSS THE SURFACE OF BUBBLES.

HAVEN'T TASTED IT YET.  THIS SATURDAY WILL BE 21 DAYS OF FERMENTATION IN  THE LBK AND IT IS NOW TIME TO BOTTLE.  PER UPS, MY MR. BEER SIPHON WAND SHOULD ARRIVE ON FRIDAY.  I GET TO SEE IF THE WATER MIX-UP DISCUSSED ABOVE WAS CRITICAL. :rolleyes:

PUT A BOTTLE OF THIS BATCH IN THE FRIDGE AND TASTED IT LAST WEEK.  WASN'T SO GOOD.  TOOK ANOTHER SAMPLE TODAY AND IT IS AMAZING WHAT A WEEK WILL DO.  IT WAS GREAT.  BATCH ISN'T EVEN OFFICIALLY READY UNTIL FEB 14TH. WELL I GUESS MY WATER MISTAKE WASN'T CRITICAL.AT ALL. I AM CALLING BATCH #1 A SUCCESS.  CURRENTLY HAVE 6 BATCHES IN VARIOUS STAGES OF FERMENTATION AND CONDITIONING.  BEEN SPENDING A LOT OF TIMES CREATING LABELS.

yeast are very forgiving... it is really hard to screw up beer since the yeast do nearly all the real work.

One curiosity I have concerning the water that the can was sitting in is the label glue that dissolves into that water. I know on the older small cans I can always see the glue in the water. Not sure about the new larger cans. Anyone know what, if any, effect this may have?

It has no effect on my beer, I do not reuse the water used to warm the can - lol.

If you are drinking that water, I suppose it could have some effect....

My only problem is paper that was dislodged by the can opener getting in the wort as I pour from warmed up can into the 4 cups hot water

It has no effect on my beer, I do not reuse the water used to warm the can - lol.

If you are drinking that water, I suppose it could have some effect....

My only problem is paper that was dislodged by the can opener getting in the wort as I pour from warmed up can into the 4 cups hot water

WAS ALSO CONCERNED ABOUT THIS.  ON BATCH #3 I STARTED PEELING THE PAPER LABEL OFF BEFORE WARMING THE HME IN HOT WATER.

• Like 2

WAS ALSO CONCERNED ABOUT THIS.  ON BATCH #3 I STARTED PEELING THE PAPER LABEL OFF BEFORE WARMING THE HME IN HOT WATER.

As long as you don't use that water from warming up the can in your beer, there is no risk whatsoever with the glue. Removing the labels anyway is fine, but I never do. Was just curious to see if anyone had any information on what the glue might do to the beer. I sure didn't mean to scare you. It's a very small amount. Mostly curious about effect on fermentation, body, flavor, etc. I would hope it is very small, if any.

This is a very sticky issue...

Sorry, could not resist adding some Joe Chianti humor.  He sniffed glue for many, many years.

This is a very sticky issue...

Sorry, could not resist adding some Joe Chianti humor.  He sniffed glue for many, many years.

Hey, I thought we were gonna keep that to ourselves.

I pull the labels off the cans before warming and tape them to the LBK when it goes on the shelf so I know what is in it.  I have the LBKs numbered, but then I would have to consult a pad or clipboard on which I was tracking what brew is in what LBK.  That would be too much like work.

It has no effect on my beer, I do not reuse the water used to warm the can - lol. -- POINT TAKEN. TOUCHE!! :D 

It has no effect on my beer, I do not reuse the water used to warm the can - lol. -- POINT TAKEN. TOUCHE!! :D 

I'm certainly glad no harm was done in this case. I'm still curious about the glue from those labels. I wonder about it every time I see the cloud of glue in the pot of water. I was hoping someone might have an informed opinion on it. Just for the curiosty. Seemed like a good opportunity to ask. Maybe some other time.

THIS WAS MY FIRST BATCH.  HAD TWO LAST NIGHT.  I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED.  THEY WERE GOOD CONSIDERING I DO NOT REALLY LIKE LIGHT BEER.  CAN HARDLY WAIT FOR SOME OF MY STOUTS AND ALES TO BE READY!!

• Like 1

OPR, glad to hear they are drinkable!  I know we all have our favorites type/style of beer, but when it is your beer, you find a way to drink it.

Enjoy, and happy brewing!

I'm bottling today and will be refilling the LBK with the Biere de Saison 2013 Summer Seasonal.

Great job OPR71.  I'm with you on the lighter beers.  I'll drink them, but my heart belongs to the darks. 

FWIW: I always boil water and pour it over the HME can in a separate pitcher slightly larger than the can. Whether you use hot tap water or hot boiling water and pour it over the HME can, we are loosening up the HME in the can without affecting any flavors or changing anything in the can. we are getting to the same point taking different routes. 

I am very pleased to see or hear that OPR had a successful first batch of homebrew even with the slight hiccup. Congrats OPR and many more successful brews are in your future. We learn one step at a time and one batch at a time. Keep a notebook diary of each and every brew from beginning to end and even make notes of your first pour from each batch...head, body, taste, mouthfeel, off-flavors, legs on side of glass, anything that you might detect or notice, whether it is good bad or indifferent.

Here is a great page for brewing notes that I use:   http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewday-extract/

and their main brewday page: http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewdaysheets/