Mr.Beer Community
kp

larger yeast

Hi all first time posting here. I have been using Mr. Beer for about two years with pretty good results. I just started trying new things like adding Lme and hop pellets. I just made a new batch using a patriot larger-American light-lme soft pack and 1 oz liberty pellot hops and used saflarger s-23 yeast.I wantednto get as close to a larger as I could.The yeast was a little out date and my local brew store said to double pitch it so I did at 55 degrees. The one thing I forgot to do was stir up the wort in the keg before I pitched the yeast.I have it in the keg at 53 degrees and can see some signs that the batch is fermenting but I have never fermented at low temps.when you ferment at lowered. temps is there less activity as fermenting at higher temps.

I have read that lager yeast is a bottom fermenter whereas ale yeast is a top. Stirring the wort before adding yeast adds oxygen for the yeast to feed off of. I think you'll be fine as long as you see any sign of activity.

Thanks all I'm going to let it sit for three weeks then bottle it and let it condition for another six to eight then try one.

Lager, not larger...

I've noticed this a few different times, and I think it is from folks using a "smart" phone with autocorrect.