Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
trucker

plastic or glass bottles

Hello all

So I was thinking of buying more bottles I would like to get the 24 pack 12 ounce bottle kit. But all the talk about bottle bombs has me a little nervous lol Wich one do you all use or prefer plastic or glass.

Glass for me.  Doesn't matter though, it's all just personal preference.  I do keep a couple plastics around for something that I might want to take to the beach.

Glass is just easier for me to clean, since I can use a brush without worrying about scratching plastic.

Bottle bombs sound scary, but if you follow the general 3week/4week rule, there is little to no risk.

Hello all

So I was thinking of buying more bottles I would like to get the 24 pack 12 ounce bottle kit. But all the talk about bottle bombs has me a little nervous lol Wich one do you all use or prefer plastic or glass.

When I made a few batches around 2009 I used the large Mr. Beer plastic ones.  I got back into it with the updated Mr. Beer recipes this past August and have been using 12 oz glass bottles.

I prefer the glass bottles because (1) 12 oz is a more practical serving size than those larger plastic bottles. and (2) It feels like real beer on the shelf.

I've bottled 5 batches since August and haven't had any bottle bombs.  I think the fear of bottle bombs is exaggerated.  Just to be safe, I keep my bottles in a cooler at room temperature for the 1st week of conditioning just to be safe.  If you ferment in the LBK for a full 3 weeks at the right temperature then don't overdo it with the sugar in the bottles, you should be safe.

And, don't waste your money buying empty glass bottles from Mr. Beer or elsewhere.  Talk to friends and co-workers.  It's very easy to get empties from others.  I have several co-workers who bring me bottles.  I have the agreement that I'll give them a bottle of my beer for every 12 or so empties they bring me.  And it's a little bit of work to get the labels off the empties, but it gives me something to do while watching television.

Bottle bombs are very rare. I put my bottles in plastic file boxes for the first 3 weeks, then down in the basement.

I am mixed, I use four 33.8 ounce PET Mr. Beer bottles (old kits came with them), four 16 Oz glass bottles, one 16.9 ounce PET Mr. Beer bottle (fermentation check bottle) and thirty-two 12 Oz glass bottles in each five gallon batch.

I like the idea of reusing my glass bottles my neighbors is a drunk I can get some from him lol maybe just buy mrbeer beer caps should work for them then I would think what do you use to wash them

I've been using glass for the last several batches.  I've found that the plastic bottles included with my kit didn't seem to seal properly and my beer never properly carbonated.  That has not been a problem with glass bottles.  Fortunately, I have four cases of 22-ounce bomber bottles from my days brewing at a local "brew-on-premises" establishment. The prices there have increased to the point where I've pretty much stopped brewing there and am concentrating on homebrewing with MrBeer.   ;)

I like both. I find I always want a little more than a 12 oz pour. Never had a bottle bomb, but I don't use the MB amounts of sugar, and I make sure fermentation is complete before bottling.  Both have carbonated just fine. I have not purchased any glass bottles, I just clean the empty ones from store bought brews.

try searching craiglist sometimes you can find cases. I found a guy selling all his at $4 a case for 12oz. You might try putting your own ad to buy bottles from people.

About half my glass bottles I've gotten from co-workers are twist-off kinds.  I've had zero problems with them holding a seal.  Although I prefer the non-twist-off kinds, I'll use either.

just curious, how long you been using twist offs?

I use both glass and plastic on every batch. It's kinda nice to squeeze the plastic to check for carbing. Glass is more aesthetically pleasing.

Never had a bottle bomb.

just curious, how long you been using twist offs?

Since I bottled my first batch at the end of September.  They hold the pressure inside.  Shock Top and Leinenkugels are the 2 largest sources for my twist-off bottles.  So apparently they work fine for the commercial producers also.  As I collect more bottles I bottle using any available non-twist-offs first.

Commercial producers don't use wing cappers. Twist offs have thinner necks. You will break one or get a bad seal.

Commercial producers don't use wing cappers. Twist offs have thinner necks. You will break one or get a bad seal.

I guess I've been lucky so far.  Before I bottled my first batch, I opened a bottle of Shock Top, then put one of my caps on it.  I then shook up the bottle a lot.  Nothing happened.  Then I let it sit for a day and opened it again.  I got the pop showing me the pressure inside held.  And I haven't had a bad seal on one yet.

The bottle caps off the Shock Top bottles are identical to the bottle caps I'm using.  Same shape and size.

ok so twist offs are bad to use I have some bud light bottle guess I won't use them.

holy cow I only want to put a cap on a bottle I don't want to crush the bottle lol how is that different from the wing capper other then it looks to be easier to use.the wing capper look like it has to be on perfect or it don't seal right

Most hand-held cappers grab the small ring around the perimeter of the neck and use that ring to hold the crowner tight to the bottle. The ring on twist-offs is often too thin and too weak for use with hand cappers. Bench top cappers do not grab onto this ring and are the preferred type of capper to put crowns on twist-off bottles, but you run the risk of not getting a good seal.

• Like 2

trucker, on 31 Dec 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

holy cow I only want to put a cap on a bottle I don't want to crush the bottle lol how is that different from the wing capper other then it looks to be easier to use.the wing capper look like it has to be on perfect or it don't seal right

lol that's an old school type capper. wing cappers don't work on all bottles, bench capper does.

Most hand-held cappers grab the small ring around the perimeter of the neck and use that ring to hold the crowner tight to the bottle. The ring on twist-offs is often too thin and too weak for use with hand cappers. Bench top cappers do not grab onto this ring and are the preferred type of capper to put crowns on twist-off bottles, but you run the risk of not getting a good seal.

I use the hand-held capper.  I do try to drink the twist-off bottles first as I have less trust in them for the long-term, but so far not a single issue.

what does twist off have to do with the amount of trub?

What does trub have to do with a discussion about plastic or glass bottles?

• Like 1

Have you read the stickies on the top of the forum?trub

Lol Rick you want a honest answer I breezed through them read what I needed to read hard to read with kids running around and staring at the screen reading for to long time gives me a headache

what does twist off have to do with the amount of trub?

What? Did I miss something. I don't recall reading anything about trub. Let me know where I missed this.

I use one with same mechanics as trucker showed - pull down lever. I have had it for 45 years. Not broken any despite some twist tops creeping in there. Now I mostly use the PET.

what is trub

Trub is the live, and dead yeasts, and their waste material. When fermenting that's the white stuff in the bottom of the LBK

Trub is the live, and dead yeasts, and their waste material. When fermenting that's the white stuff in the bottom of the LBK

now I no thanks

Good discussion of bottle choices. While it is purely personal preference, I have used glass starting with my first batch, 5 years ago. I have yet to have a bottle bomb, but I always ferment for 3 weeks and go easy on the priming sugar.

Hell, I'm a rook and even I figured out that buying Mr. Beer plastic or glass bottles is an unnecessary expense. 

I routinely drink Guiness Stout, Heineken and German beers.  I almost always have at least a case or two of empties waiting in the garage for the bi-weekly re-cycle truck to come around.  I simply filled the kitchen sink with hot water and dish washing liquid, let them set for a hour or so, easily peeled of the labels and removed the remaining label glue residue with a Brillo pad.  I then ran then through the dish washer to get any remaining spider webs that may have still been left behind.  Ordered a Mr. Beer bottle capper and caps and now just waiting for bottling time. 

I'll just re-wash, sanitize and bottle using my 12 oz Guiness Stout empties when bottling time comes around! 

Besides, the only thing I ever want to drink out of plastic is the occasional cold one at the ball park.

HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM WITH PETs, BUT I JUST PREFER GLASS.  IT JUST SEEMS THAT YOU CAN GET GLASS CLEANER WITH LESS CHANCES OF SANITATION ISSUES.  I HAD THIS UNCLE WHO WHEN I WAS A KID REFUSED TO DRINK ANYTHING FROM PLASTIC OR TUPERWARE.  HIS ISSUE WAS THAT THERE WAS NO WAY SOMETHING POROUS LIKE PLASTICS COULD EVER BE CLEANED AS WELL AS SOMETHING LIKE GLASS. 

I DON'T KNOW BUT MAYBE IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE VERY LIGHT LAYER OF GREASE SCUM HE FOULD IN A TUPPERWARE TUMBLER OF COKE MY AUNT SERVED HIM ONE SUNDAY NIGHT MEAL.  HE PITCHED A ROYAL BITCH ABOUT THAT AND IT STUCK WITH ME ALL THESE YEARS.  (THIS WAS LONG BEFORE DISH WASHERS BEING STANDARD IN ALL HOMES/APARTMENTS).  WE KIDS ALL DIED LAFFING AT HIM BUT THAT INCIDENT STUCK WITH ME.

TODAY, I'LL DRINK FROM A PLASTIC CONTAINER WHEN I BUY THE OCCASIONAL SOFT DRINK AT A BURGER KING OR MICKEY D's, BUT TO THIS DAY I'LL NEVER DRINK FROM ANYONE's PLASTIC CONTAINER, BE IT BRAND NEW OR ONE THAT IS JUST OUT OF A DISH WASHER!!

Bought 2 only because i will quickly bbein need of bottles way before i cam drink enough empty. Im a 1-3 beer a week guy so its tough emptying to many

Another way to get free bottles is if you live in a recycling state stop at a party store and offer to exchange money for bottles.  You will get a strange look at first but after you explain why they usually wont have a problem.

Also, you can use any plastic bottle that originally contained a carbonated beverage.  I like using 2L bottles for tailgating.  The caps can also be used as replacements for the MrB caps.  Although I primarily keg and use glass bottles, I usually fill one PET with beer to test for carbonation and use the plastic Coke caps as replacements on a regular basis as I really dont want to come across flat beer to know it is time to replace the caps.

Hello All.

I used all plastic but bought some glass this time around just to try them out. Plastic products used as frequently as bottles make me nervous.:(

3 hours ago, ChristopherArnold said:

Hello All.

I used all plastic but bought some glass this time around just to try them out. Plastic products used as frequently as bottles make me nervous.:(

Welcome to the forum! :)  Were they the Mr. Beer PET bottles?  I know that you can reuse regular soda bottles as well, just treat the clear ones as if they're vampires...  No direct sunlight.  Leave 'em in a dark place and they'll be fine.

• Like 1

No difference between glass and plastic.

Assume you are using glass bottles that are not screw off, and you bought a capper?

All glass for me. Already had a capper and didn't mind dumpster-diving and peeling labels. I've bought a few cases of new 12 oz longnecks when I had a batch ready and just didn't have the clean bottles or the time or inclination to have a bottle-washing day.

Out of the nearly 30 cases of beer I've bottled in the last 6 months, I've had exactly one bottle bomb. That doesn't mean that a batch won't start popping like fireworks tomorrow, but I doubt it. :) 

• Like 1

I use both but I prefer glass....just seems better to me,,probably just in my head but something about popping that bottle open and pouring a nice glass of beer...

• Like 3

I'm using both also, not sure which I prefer though. While it's nice to pop a top on a cold one, it's also nice being able to unscrew a bottle, pour beer into a glass, and then reseal the bottle with two more servings left in it. Bottling the 1 Liter bottles seems to be quicker (but it's probably not) and they definitely take up less space while they're cond/carb and being chilled in the 'fridge. The last 5G batch I bottled I filled a 12pk of glass bottles and then within 1 bottle of filling up 2 8pk boxes of the 1 Liter bottles.

Still using glass for all my bottling, but there is one drawback:  the dreaded bottle bombs.  Today I had my second ever as one of my Coffee Stouts decided to break free from the confines of the glass.  This seems to be rather odd, as this beer has been conditioning for over two months and one might think that the prime time for explosions would be long gone.  It certainly wasn't due to over-priming, as I used just one carb drop for each 22-oz bottle.  Anyway, I'm down one beer (and one bottle!) so it's time to start brewing again.  

For no particular reason I tend to use my plastic bottles for ciders.  If I have a PET available, I will use one for my beer as well just as an indicator of how the carbonation process is moving along.

Glass is 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly without loss in quality or purity80% of the glass that is recovered is made into new glass products

I had some strange things happen with the pet bottles.

I found one empty and others with no carbonation. glad they were in an omaha steak cooler. suspecting an infection I started tossing them.

Glass for me Plastic for Hacked Root Beer only.

Cheers

There's a reason wine and spirits are stored in glass: purity of taste. Plastic (and, to a lesser degree, metal) can impart various "flavors" into the liquids it comes into contact with. But that's just one reason that glass is an increasingly popular alternative to plastic and aluminum or stainless steel sport-style bottles.:) 

9 hours ago, ChristopherArnold said:

There's a reason wine and spirits are stored in glass: purity of taste. Plastic (and, to a lesser degree, metal) can impart various "flavors" into the liquids it comes into contact with. But that's just one reason that glass is an increasingly popular alternative to plastic and aluminum or stainless steel sport-style bottles.:) 

Yes, there is a reason wine and spirits are stored in glass: long shelf life. Wines and spirits are meant to be aged for very long periods of time. Beer isn't. Our PET bottles do not impart any flavors and, in fact, our oxygen barrier PET bottles can age your beer for up to 5 years (some have reported longer). While glass is better for longer aging times, it also breaks and the caps aren't reusable.

The only issue with using plastic isn't from the plastic itself, it's from oxygen permeating through the plastic and into the beer. Oxidation is your beer's worst enemy, but unlike most other PET bottles (like your average soda bottle), our bottles have a nylon barrier, reducing the the rate of ingress of oxygen and the loss of CO2 for up to 18 months (longer for the Oxygen Barrier Bottles). Also, plastic can scratch, which can harbor bacteria. But unless you're using a really stiff bristle brush to clean them, it's nearly impossible to scratch the inside of these bottles.

On 6/25/2016 at 2:39 PM, MnMBeer said:

I had some strange things happen with the pet bottles.

I found one empty and others with no carbonation. glad they were in an omaha steak cooler. suspecting an infection I started tossing them.

Glass for me Plastic for Hacked Root Beer only.

Cheers

The material the bottle is made from has no effect on the carbonation. But if your plastic bottles are somehow scratched on the inside, replace them. The empty beer is a mystery, however. I've never heard of that one.

Alternative packaging for wine is nothing new. Indeed, glass bottles themselves square measure a comparatively recent innovation within the history of wine, qualitative analysis back to the eighteenth century. before this wine was transported in bulk, and sold-out from barrel or clay jar, moving to a lot of temporary storage media at the destination,like the skin. It's valued bearing in mind that abundant today’s wine still newer sees a bottle, however, is drunk near supply. :):)

Thats an accurate summary of this post, What is your MR Beer recipe?

I am enjoying a ESB or few today. :/