Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SlickRick07

Purchasing a Kegerator

Due to time restraints with having two little ones, I'm looking to purchase a complete kegerator. Would anyone have any advice or opinions on this Kegerator I've found with a homebrew conversion kit:

http://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-full- ... Kegerators

I would be open to any other kegerators that someone might have experience with or recommendations.

I also see this model that includes a keg as well:

http://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-ultra ... Kegerators

From what I've read, it sounds like it might be worthwhile to swap out the faucet for a Perlick as well:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/perl ... aucet.html

Finally, has anyone had experience with the Draft Brewer Single Keg System:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... ystem.html

The draft brewer just looks like a keg + regulator + lines and adaptors.  You'd still need co2, fridge, taps.

you can use these http://www.amazon.com/Gram-Unthreaded-Cartridges-Food-Grade/dp/B0016KSJ9W and one of these http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/soda-keg-co2-charger.html.

cuts down the over head a little a CO2 tank ain't cheap

Keep in mind you can not force carb with one of these.  You will need to conventionally carb with sugar first.  That is a good, cheap way to start but after awhile (unless you have multiple kegs) you will want to cut down the carb time to a matter of days or even hours but having the CO2 tank and force carbing.  In theory you can go from boiling to drinking in 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

Don't you lose the benefit of flavor changes with beer maturing over longer time if you do that?

Don't you lose the benefit of flavor changes with beer maturing over longer time if you do that?

I know you have a lot of experience with homebrewing, do you have a complete kegerator system that you would recommend?

Not sure if my opinion will benefit you any, but I bought a Haier model HBF05E 3 years ago. It is an awesome kegerator and versatile. Keeps me going in between batches of home brew.

A lot of it depends on the beer and what you are trying to do.  For an IPA, wheat, or something like Centennial Blonde, those are meant to be drank young.  So yes, a more complex beer would benefit from aging.  For those beers I generally age in a secondary if I am kegging until I get close to kicking the keg.

Sorry, I meant to quote and respond to Da Yooper.

No, I really dont.  My keg "system" right now is a small'ish fridge someone was pitching, a 5# CO2 tank and regulator, picnic taps, and an STC-1000 controller.  The only reason I am still using the picnic taps is because I hope to be moving soon and am waiting to drill it up until I figure out where it will end up.  I do have the Perlick taps ready to go.

A kegerator looks pretty but you can generally get more flexibility at less cost by making one out of an old fridge or better yet a chest freezer.  Right now my fridge will only hold 2-3 kegs but I can use most of the guts on a chest freezer when I look to expand after the move.  A chest freezer is also extremely efficient.

Da Yooper, I found this on Amazon for $600.  It looks like it comes with everything, even a CO2 Tank.  I'll still need to buy a keg, will this hold 2 cornies or just one?

Da Yooper, I found this on Amazon for $600.  It looks like it comes with everything, even a CO2 Tank.  I'll still need to buy a keg, will this hold 2 cornies or just one?

Dont see the Amazon link.  But remember, most kegerators you see are meant to hold commerical kegs and not cornies.  You could also tell by how many taps it has.  But, a lot of the ones that hold commerical kegs (short and wide) and probably accomodate multiple 2.5-3 gallon cornies.  I have to guess if it is being sold without a keg it is probably a commercial keg unit.

The original kegerator I was looking at had a homebrew conversion kit which was nice.  I guess my biggest question now is will it hold two 5 gallon cornies or at least 1?  I'm not sure how those compare to the short, fat commercial kegs. 

http://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-full-size-kegerator-and-keg-beer-cooler-w-home-brew-tap-kc2000sshmbrew/KC2000SSHMBREW.html?cgid=Kegerators-Home_Kegerators

Ironically, I have a nice beer fridge right now but it's pretty old.  I wouldn't be shocked to see it die at any time.  If I knew it would last, I would just by the equipment that you have now and use picnic taps.  Essentially that would be fine for kegging, just not the pretty dispenser on top.  In reality, I feel like I'm due to buy a kegerator and would like to have something a little nicer but that is a thought.

Dont see the Amazon link.  But remember, most kegerators you see are meant to hold commerical kegs and not cornies.  You could also tell by how many taps it has.  But, a lot of the ones that hold commerical kegs (short and wide) and probably accomodate multiple 2.5-3 gallon cornies.  I have to guess if it is being sold without a keg it is probably a commercial keg unit.

Here was the missing link to the other kegerator:

http://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-full-size-dual-tap-built-in-kegerator/KC7000SSTWIN.html?cgid=Kegerators

For that kind of money look for one on EBAY or craigslist or build one for DIY on youtube

John1801, on 07 Jan 2015 - 9:29 PM, said:

For that kind of money look for one on EBAY or craigslist or build one for DIY on youtube

He's got a point. If your at all handy, the dyi would be the route to take

I purchased my kegerator from The Beverage factory. They have a lot of stuff. I also got 2 used kegs from them too.

Mines a Kegco 2 tap model. It holds 3 corneys but only  2 on tap. I love it and the only problem was the standard faucets. If you dont use them alot ,they would freeze up bad. I bought 2 perlics and they solved the problem . Good luck

The more expensive one holds 3 cornies (they diagram it at the link you provided).  The "cheaper" one I really dont known.  I would just call them and ask.

I just built a fermeezer out of a 7 cu. foot chest freezer on amazon for $200 and a johnson temperature controller for $60.

I've seen plenty of videos where people do the same setup and make a Keezer instead.  The best ones have a collar installed with multiple taps.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just buy the conversion shanks/taps and a used fridge from Craigslist and I can make a decent kegerator for under $200 or so. I need to build me a keezer next.

I was referring that I have little brown kegs.  Not real ones.

If you force carb, there is still plenty of yeast in suspension.  That can give the aged flavor in some beer styles, however you are also able to drink much quicker, since you aren't waiting for the yeast to ferment the small amount of priming sugar.  I personally keg and force carb everything.  If I want to age a big beer, I bottle the force carbed beer using a bottling gun directly from the keg and let it sit at room temp for the beer to age further.  Works for me.  

On some beers you will lose some of the complexity when you force vs natural keg.  I force beer that likes to be drank young and bottle those that like aging for the most part.

The other benefit of force carbing is you don't have to worry about re pitching yeast in a high ABV beer, or the yeast crapping out during the carb. I love my Blichman beer gun for that reason.

However, I totally agree that some beers must be bottle conditioned. Belgians for example, are not really the same without it...

• Like 1

ebay, craigslist... i'm looking at four mini kegs ( 2.5 gal. per)  with bungs, seals, and co2 dispenser and cartridges, reuseable for up to 8 refills each they guarantee, I found that on amazon. whats nice is that these kegs can fit in your fridge to!

like this?

attachicon.gifkeg set up.jpg

Keep in mind you can not force carb with one of those little CO2 setups.  The cylinder is meant only to dispense already carbed beer.  It will work fine if you sugar prime in the keg however.

• Like 2

which I do, that is pretty much my set up except my tap line is only 24". couldn't get it to quit foaming when as long as in the pic.