Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gophers6

First Dissapointment With Mr. Beer

After 4 successful batches of standard refills, for my 5th batch I made Bew. Red Ale + MA UME. I used the 3-2-4 time period. Last nite I poured some in a glass and also poured a bottle of Killian's in a glass and compared them. Hate to say it but I lost big time! Mine is extremely fizzy, like beer flavored Alka Seltzer. I carbed the same as always, 2.5 tsp sugar/liter. Any thoughts about what went wrong would be appreciated. It was hot here, 78 in the house during ferment and carb.

norman1 wrote:

It was hot here, 78 in the house during ferment and carb.

That's too warm for most ale yeasts, although you aren't describing a bad flavored ale, just overcarbed, right?

And 3 weeks ferment is plenty of time to be sure the yeasts have consumed everything. so, how do you end up too fizzy? Hmm. Right amount of carbing sugar for the bottle size. I have no clue.

I don't know of a remedy. I wonder if you can 'burp' them? I wouldn't remove the cap, just release the gas and re-tighten the caps. It's worth a try and if it works you can experiment with releasing more than once to see how they turn out.
I guess you'll have to let then sit for a week to see how they recarb...

Let us know how it goes, whatever you decide to try.