Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

Safale S-05 is doing its thing!

This is the 1st time I've used any yeast other than MB and it has entered the aerobic stage! I love the aerobic stage! I've got a constant flow of small bubbles to the surface. They're eating good in there!

• Like 2

us-05 is my most used dry yeast. If fermented on the cool side it is a real clean yeast, works well on a variety of beer styles especially IPA's.

• Like 1

Not even 2 weeks in and this batch is clear as a bell! Flashlight shines straight through it. I dont think I've had one clear up like this since I did the CAL. There's still bubbles rising though.

I'm going to brew the Canadian Blonde again next. I plan to add a pound of light DME just like I did before, but use 05 this time. I really liked it with the MB yeast.

Just so you're clear, adding a pound of DME or LME does not mean you cannot use the Mr. Beer yeast.  There are several reasons to use other yeasts, including:

1) When you make a real high ABV beer, getting a yeast to handle the high gravity.

2) When you want a different effect, i.e. some yeast gives banana flavors, some yeast is more like British ale yeast, etc.

S-05 is very similar to Mr. Beer yeast.   I wouldn't spend the $4 on it if I was making a Mr. Beer batch.

• Like 2

I find the US -05 a bit "cleaner" than the MB yeast. It is a good choice for when you want a an ale to be "lighter" tasting. Also, I use it frequently because my basement is now 64 degrees, and it ferments just fine, even that low. BTW - when you see the yeast bubbling away, they are producing Carbon Dioxide by an anaerobic processes. 

I made the CB before, with the extra malt, with the MB yeast, and it was good, I just want to try it with another yeast. It's just an experiment.

The yeast to me really gives it a different effect and creates a different profile for the beer your making.  I've been using Wyeast Lab yeast lately because I'm liking the direct pitch activator.  I use the whole thing for the 8lx and has been working great.  The different strains really change the flavor depending on what you are going for. 

I tend to use smackpacks in my LBK and throw away the lid yeast, but made that White IPA seasonal last night with the S-05, coming along nicely!

I find the US -05 a bit "cleaner" than the MB yeast. It is a good choice for when you want a an ale to be "lighter" tasting. Also, I use it frequently because my basement is now 64 degrees, and it ferments just fine, even that low. BTW - when you see the yeast bubbling away, they are producing Carbon Dioxide by an anaerobic processes. 

The S-05 is definitely "cleaner". It's very neutral and doesn't impart any flavors to your beer. Plus, it flocculates better leaving a nicely packed trub (though the S-04 flocculates a little better). The MB yeast is great for almost any beer, but if you're making something that's hop forward and you really want your hops to shine, S-05 is a great yeast. It's actually derived from Sierra Nevada Brewing (as is Wyeast's 1056 and White Labs 001). It's also known as the "Chico strain". It's one of my favorite yeasts along with Wyeast's Denny's Favorite, Pacman, and MB.  

• Like 1